Thursday, May 1, 2014

The Blog Forum : : A Creative Little Series #3 ~ Designing Your Look


When we designed this website back in 2008, I knew what I was after.  Our counseling center / house church was adding a blog to our online presence.  I wanted something professional, yet warm.  Something that was sharp and a bit polished and not at all schlocky.  Yet sent the invitation that 'you are welcome here.' 

Fast forward six years.  I'm now an avid blogger and, like many of you, follow dozens and dozens of blogs.  Over time, I've found myself drawn to sites that I found inviting ... there were words that were compelling or occasional invitations to relationship or spaces that were creative and attractive in one way or another.

But recently I've noticed that certain sites literally make me stop. 

And smile. 

Breathe deep. 

And maybe linger a bit.

In an online sea that swirls with a wearying incessant wordiness and endless images that bombard our senses, these writers have each crafted an appealing oasis.  There's a lovely uncrowded spaciousness, a distinct lack of visual overstimulation, an expansive lightness that allows these oasis crafters' messages to shine front and center. 

Lauren and Josh and Emily and Ceil and Courtney are coming to mind.

*

I'm loving . . .

lots of white space with plenty of margin

crisp design with a good size black font on white background

one fabulous photo for a header or as a post's centerpiece

images in gentle, calming watercolor shades

*
 
And, well, not so much . . .

font that's too small, too faded, too bright, or too erratic

too many widgets, ads, buttons cluttering the vista

too many photos one on top of another

tiny images whose beauty is hard to appreciate

*
 
Noticing what catches your eye and makes your heart skip a beat is the first step in making updates to your own canvas.  We're not talking about ripping off someone's design or breaking copyrights.  It's about recognizing what spaces breathe fresh air into your soul.  What floats your boat high and sends you on your way with a little treasure or two in hand.  We're talking inspiration and getting energized, giving yourself permission to take your craft to the next level.
 
FORUM
 
What makes a blog inviting to you?
 
*
 
 
 


16 comments:

  1. Okay friend, I'm in the middle of a blog makeover and would so love to share and get your thoughts. How can we do that? Perfect timing on this series! LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LET'S CHAT!

      At the end of the series, I'm going to be offering a FREE 1/2 hour coaching call to anyone who's left a comment in one of the posts in this series. This is the first time I've mentioned it, but this seems to be the perfect time to put it on the table.

      Thanks, Beth, for taking us there today!

      Can't wait to connect with those of you who'd like some 1-1 time!

      Delete
  2. Hi Linda! You have just....blessed me today! Thank you so much for your mentioning me in this post on blogging design. When I moved from Blogger to Wordpress, I went with a template that was open and airy, just starting fresh. I really haven't added much to it. Just like you, I appreciate the lack of clutter. I was using a revolving header, but I even stopped that.

    Can I call you too? I would love touching base with you in a more personal way. I'd love to hear your ideas and I can't lie...I'd enjoy the 1:1 time!
    Thank you for making my day my friend,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your design, but more than that, I so value your writing of everyday experiences that speak deeply to faith. And you have been so kind to me and have taken the time to actively build the relationship we enjoy. I am so thankful that you're in my life!

      I'll be lining up those coaching calls next week ... and would be honored to chat together, my friend!

      ;-}

      Delete
  3. I'm in the middle of moving to Wordpress and picking a design. Light, airy, and spacious are the words I want it to convey. Picking just the right one is taking hours and hours but I think I may have it! You have no idea how well timed this series is. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see your masterpiece, Jenn. And ... you've made my day, by the way!

      ;-}

      You go, girl!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I agree! I can't wait to see the blogs you pointed out, Linda. I was just talking to Beth (aka simply Beth) about this. I love the clean, simple, inviting look! And, well, if you ever have time, I'd love to talk to you about this :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we're wanting our online spaces to look like we want our homes to look ... clutterfree, light and bright and wide open!

      I do believe we're onto something here, Karin. I look forward to connecting with you 1-1 soon ...

      Delete
  5. These are all really beautiful designs you have shred with us today! I really love the open airily feeling you get when you head over to their blogs. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that openness really highlights the essence of who these writers are. There's nothing to distract us from their message. And THAT I love ...

      Thanks for taking a few moments to say 'hi,' Kalley. I'm delighted that you're here!

      Delete
  6. I just wrote a comment and i think it disappeared... i know you moderate them, but something seemed to go wacky. if it did, i know you will delete one of them! although i can't duplicate it exactly!

    So i have the uncluttered look - i could never figure out how to add those buttons to the side...and I have been kind of glad I didn't! Now I know why! this series has inspired me to think more concretely about presenting this space. I do know i want to change the "my story" section - and the info under my photo or a starter. you are helping me think through this. i did post today - www.carolhiestand.com.- open to any suggestions if any of you go wandering over there.

    I have been home all week, caring for my dad and hubby out of town. he is home tonight and tomorrow is MY day! I hope to knuckle down and do some of this stuff. MOnday is another kind of day for me....it is the 56th anniversary of my little brother's death. I have been doing some work in a therapy group and part of what I have been doing is unlocking the grief from the sad little girl part of me....it has been so good. and i like to honor him on this day. I go to Lake Michigan, sit and watch the waves, the earth meet the sky and release a balloon. Then i nestle down in a local coffee shop and write for awhile. Looking forward to my man getting home tonight.

    thanks for this series. making me think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the payoff for never being techno-savvy is having a wide open canvas, clear and free! Thanks for letting me know that this series is working for you. I think there's alot of thought going on out there on making sure we define ourselves well ...

      I am sorry to hear about your brother, even 56 years later. That must have been a huge loss for the little girl. To do such good grief work now in this season is a healing thing. I pray that God pours comfort out on you during this season.

      Hugs.

      Delete
  7. An inspirational series, Linda... Your delightful photos seem to call out, "Let's dabble, but with passion and purpose!" Little hearts and hands know well.

    Thank you for the Creekside blog. It's a joy watching your vision come to fruition.

    Here's to Christly creativity,
    HBHW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God has closed some doors along the way. Other doors have opened wide. And this blog is one of those doors, and nurturing it and growing it has brought great joy and fulfillment to me. And I do believe, pleasure to Him ...

      I am so thankful!

      And I hope you are well, my dear! It's so good to hear from you this evening ...

      Delete
  8. I'm one of the bloggers who use way too many pictures, I guess. I'm a visual person and that works for me, but I wonder other people might find my site cluttered. You make me think, Linda, and that's a great thing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's not one right way to do this blogging thing! Everyone has their own unique style and flair, and what's appealing to one person might have the exact opposite effect on the next! I think it's good to evaluate what we do and why, and then put our best efforts out there.

      Thanks for sharing where you're at, Yuko ... you add much to the conversation.

      Delete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...