Tuesday, July 29, 2014

4 Steps to Get Those Creative Juices Flowing Again

"When working on The Last Supper, Leonardo da Vinci regularly took off from painting
for several hours at a time and seemed to be daydreaming aimlessly.  
Urged by his patron, the prior of Santa Maria delle Grazie, to work more continuously,
da Vinci is reported to have replied, immodestly but accurately, 
'The greatest geniuses sometimes accomplish more when they work less.'"
 =  Schwartz  =
 



If it was good enough for Leonardo, it just might be good for us.  Rest.  Daydreaming.  Re-creation.  Playtime.  Especially if the creative flow is slowly but surely waning.  And we realize that boredom, restlessness, or something strangely off-kilter is descending, bringing with it unfulfilling, yawn-inspiring work.  Same old same old activities.  Fading relationships.  Or ministry involvement that seems to be going nowhere.

And we're feeling a bit dried up, kind of crispy around the edges. 

Maybe we're striving too hard to make life happen.  To reach success ... or even make it through the day.  Goal-driven, our to-do lists have become unwieldy and we're unable to simply be in the moment.  Someone always wants a piece of us.  Calendars are jam-packed.  And every hour is laced with incessant texting, Facebook and/or email checking, and other mindless craziness. 

Is it any wonder we're so tightly wound? 

Less, not more, is sounding more and more appealing, isn't it.  Social media's incessant noise, the endless demanding clutter of possessions, and a sedentary lifestyle that's slowly evolved over time are keeping us from blooming healthy and strong.  Daydreaming, playing, and creating?  Those pastimes have become a distant faded memory.
 
4 STEPS TO GET THOSE CREATIVE JUICES FLOWING

1.  Unplug 
Without thought, we've invited screens to invade our every waking moment.  They now accompany us everywhere we go.  In all sizes, they demand our involvement, define who we are, and call the shots of our lives.  Obsessed we are.  Literally. 

The good news?  We get to choose what to do with our addiction to social media and technology.  If we dare. 

2.  Unpack
Simplicity and minimalism walk hand in hand, softly, urgently calling our names.  We're too encumbered with our stuff ... and we know it.  Buying it, cleaning it, sorting it, moving it, decorating it, adjusting it, throwing it in the corner, storing it, paying for it. 

The good news?  We get to choose what we want to do with the avalanche of possessions that steal our energy, our joy, our wallets, our focus.

3.  Head outdoors
Fresh breezes, new vistas, the smells and sights and sounds of creation beckon.  Our heads begin to clear and hearts open wide as our feet hit the grass, sand, or pavement.  These moments are the best venues for conversations with the Lord or with those who walk alongside.  The spaciousness of creation opens up our abilities to sort through situations that are complex, weird, or confusing.  Brilliant little snippets of ideas come and settle in for us to savor and act on. We breathe deep.  And smile.  

The good news?  This doesn't cost us a dime.

4.  Doodle   
Long ago, most of us were natural creators.  Fingerpainting, drawing, coloring, designing, sculpting, digging in the sand.  It's time to ferret out the old arts and crafts stuff ... or invest in some new goodies.  And simply start to doodle around a bit.  We shouldn't judge our fledgling masterpieces too harshly.  But instead, laugh out loud as we revel in this simplest of childhood joys.  And see where it takes us.

The good news?  Most of us have been yearning to play again.  We just didn't know it.

 
What are you doing to get YOUR creative energy flowing?
 

PIN IT * TWEET IT * SHARE IT
the links are below

SUBSCRIBE TO IT


=  daydreaming with Kristen  &  Holley  =

30 comments:

  1. When I need a break, I walk in the woods. I don't listen to music and I don't walk with a friend. I spend some time alone with my thoughts. When I get home I am ready to grab my pad and get to work. It amazes me what 30 minutes alone in the woods can do.

    (I'm blessed to live in the woods and don't have to travel to get there.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Debby ... it's so GOOD to see you again! I'm with you ... I love the quiet stillness of the woods and find it a perfect place to sort through all that life's tossing my way. And don't you love how God speaks in that leafy solitude?

      Thanks for kicking off this conversation this evening ... I think it's going to be a good one!

      ;-}

      Delete
  2. I'm grateful to have this reminder -- this permission -- to do less. Reminds me of the wonderful quote by Abraham Lincoln: "Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Beth ... sometimes we seem to need that permission to give ourselves a bit of a break. That old work ethic can be a real harsh taskmaster. I love how Jesus would take off in a boat or hike up a mountainside to refresh. I'm grateful we've got those examples for us to follow.

      I'm glad you're here with us, friend. Truly!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Linda!

    I really appreciate your insights into how we can start reclaiming the creativity that God has given us. So glad I stopped in this evening!

    Refreshed,
    HBHW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As an artist, you bring so much to this table, sweet lady. I love the word 'reclaiming' that you've used. And all I can say is 'amen!'

      I hope you're doing really well this evening ...

      Delete
  4. Okay this is a message I'm coming back for in the morning when I'm fresher because I'm really liking and know I will like even more tomorrow AM. {Hugs}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're just too fun! At the end of this long day, I'm with you and am closing up shop for tonight. I can't wait to hear your insights when you return bright-eyed ...

      Hugs back, dear Beth.

      Delete
  5. I always know when I am having to work at a post---I have strayed from the world and stayed too long in my cave. The world stimulates me. Great post--good reminder!

    Blessings, Sweet Friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're making me think ... balance is the key ... and each one of us might need more or less of one or the other. I guess the key is knowing how we tick. And it might be different now than back in the day.

      Thanks for weighing in this morning, Lulu. I hope this week's going well for you, my friend ...

      Delete
  6. So true, Linda! I just spent time outside watering my flowers since we have an unusually cool morning. It was so refreshing. Might just go back out there for a bit! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, these summer mornings have been unusually cool this year. OR maybe I'm just up earlier and can appreciate the gift that this is. I've even been walking pretty regularly ... a REAL rarity for this excuse-seeker!

      Every season brings the loveliest of gifts ...

      Enjoy the garden, my friend.

      Delete
  7. Great ideas! Of course, I'm sitting here procrastinating starting an article that is due tomorrow! Good thing I just chose to take a nap AND now, I need to choose to sign off of the internet. :) Thanks for sharing your great tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how you put that Nancy ... CHOOSING to sign off the internet instead of letting it call the shots of your day. So cool to be pro-active, isn't it ...

      Thanks for dropping in today!

      Delete
    2. Had to tell you, I got my article done in about an hour! Of course, it could only be 200 words. :)

      Delete
    3. I'm hearing you!

      Sometimes it really works to have a time limit. We can push ourselves to get the project / article / task completed and then it's out the door.

      And life can go on ...

      Thanks for checking back in!

      ;-}

      Delete
  8. Sunday night I chose to deactivate my Facebook account. It's taken over my life and my brain to a point where I'm just exhausted all the time. Right now I feel a lot of the symptoms of withdrawal but I know if I keep on going it will lessen and the hold on my life will be gone. I miss doing all the creative things I used to do. Looking forward to playing more with the kids too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! That is huge! I've seldom heard of people CHOOSING to do this, and can I tell you how much I admire your strength and courage in doing so, Val?!

      May new doors open and fascinating vistas await because you were obedient to this call. Please do keep in touch and let us know all the benefits that are sure to come flowing ...

      You've made my day.

      Delete
  9. Great insight. Very good tips. Thanks for coming by. I am a planner. So I always look ahead. I hope you enjoy the Christmas posts even when your not ready. But maybe you'll get some ideas or just enjoy the posts before the rush! Enjoy. Many blessings,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to visit reader's blogs ... and I think I might be ready for Christmas in about 4 or 4 1/2 months or so!

      :-}

      Delete
  10. Your ideas are so good! I especially love #3-head outdoors. This is one of my favorite things to do -long walks basking in God's glory. Summer is a time that I take for rest because it is a natural end to my school year. I need to remind myself of what that feels like during the school year when I am so rushed and overwhelmed. Thanks for these great words! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been choosing to walk most mornings, Mary. Early. This is highly unusual for me! Very! But it's working and I'm loving the feeling of being pro-active instead of looking for lame reasons for not getting out there and doing a few miles.

      And wonder of wonders, the scale has stopped its upward climb!

      ;-}

      Delete
  11. Linda, love, love, love these down-to-earth, practical ideas to get in touch with our inner child, the one who is curled up in the arms of Jesus, greatly blessed, highly favored, deeply loved...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curled up in the arms of Jesus. Each and every day.

      Lovely, Beth. And I thank you for being here ...

      Delete
  12. "Crispy around the edges." Yep! I need to remember to live in the moment more, to really see what God is showing me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't no fun to get to that crispy place, is it?

      ;-}

      Delete
  13. Those are great advice, Linda! I do need downtime on a regular basis in order to be creative. I would just sit down and stare out a window or pray. I will have to remember those tips for when I hit a creative block next time. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate insight from artists like yourself, Yuko! And yes, even looking out a window can recalibrate our thoughts and emotions, jumpstarting something fresh and alive tucked away deep ...

      So grateful that you're a part of this community, friend!

      Delete
  14. I'm with Yuko: this is great advice! I have been craving a coloring book and a box of crayons; maybe this is why. (When did coloring books all become "coloring and activity" books? I don't need the puzzles, stickers, or other activities, just the coloring pages. Maybe I'm being too picky, since I've been shopping at the dollar store.)

    Yes, giving up our electronics is very difficult. I don't have a smartphone, but when I'm home I spend a lot of time at the computer and on my tablet. Some of that time is worthwhile (blogging, visiting other blogs, encouraging friends on Facebook and in email) and some isn't (playing games on the tablet). Spending my downtime praying or reading good books is much more refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Melissa! I just love a good coloring book! A fresh box of perfectly sharpened crayons! Goes back to my little girl days, a big fat purple Barbie coloring book ... and a long ride in the car ...

      ;-}

      Delete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...