Friday, December 13, 2013

Mom's Surprise Meringues

Baking, anyone?



This is the only cookie I bake at Christmas.  I'm no Scrooge, it's just that these are easy and I can pretty much create these dainty little crispy crunchy sweets with my eyes closed and guarantee they'll turn out great.  I'll leave all the fancy decorated butter cookies to my girls.




Surprise Meringues are my Mom's recipe, and I think she'll be happy that I'm sharing it with you! 




Here's the recipe.  Last time I baked I used both white chocolate and milk chocolate chips, but you can use anything that's stashed in your cupboard.  Long ago I penciled in the amount of the ingredients times four.  My philosophy?  If you're gonna go to all the trouble of baking, you might as well go big or go home.   

;-}



 
Beat 8 egg whites, 1/2 teaspoon each salt and cream of tartar, 4 teaspoons of vanilla til soft peaks form.
 
Add 3 cups sugar gradually, beating til peaks are stiff. 
 
Fold in 4 cups chocolate chips. 
 
Drop onto paper covered cookie sheets by teaspoon.
 
Bake at 300 degrees for 25 minutes.
 
Enjoy!
 
~~~>  So ... what kind of cookies are you pulling out of the oven?
 

* Sharing sweets with Donna  *  Jen  *  Rachel  *  Amy  *  Kristen  *  Becky  *  KariAnne


10 comments:

  1. Mmmmm... These look good, Linda! Thanks for sharing this family favorite.

    "If you're gonna go to all the trouble of baking, you might as well go big or go home."

    This line just zings off the page!

    With a jolly chuckle,
    HBHW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this simple recipe. Baking is my favorite Christmastime activity. Great for bonding with my daughters while teaching them their way around the kitchen and avoiding crowds and overspending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that extra bonus of avoiding malls, stores, craziness, and throwing money out the window! Thanks for that insight, Laura ... I'm glad you dropped in on this snowy morning.

      Delete
  3. Yum! We are baking lots of cookies this week...chocolate chip, snickerdoodles, shortbread, sugar cookies, oatmeal raisin...for gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen - I'd love a handful of those shortbread cookies, please ... with a steaming hot mug of tea! But I guess I'll settle for a bowl of Cheerios instead on this snowy morning ...

      * sigh *

      ;-}

      Delete
  4. Oh these look marvelous! And no calories right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've almost convinced myself that since they're pretty much fat-free, that this is health food at its finest!

      haha

      Merry Christmas, my friend, to you and yours ...

      ;-}

      Delete
  5. Thanks very much for the recipe...what will I be pulling out of the oven? These!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! This is my go-to Christmas cookie recipie ... and this is how I spent my morning today.

      Enjoy! And thanks for taking the time to say 'hi', Holli! Love that!

      ;-}

      Delete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...