Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Follow-Up Post

She challenged her readers to give up their household accessories for 30 days, The Nester did.  I got the impression that not all her fans stood up and applauded.  But jumpstart me she did, to a quick farewell to 105 of my kitchen soffit friends, all those ancient trinkets and treasures collected over decades.  And with way over 1000 direct hits in no time flat, that post documenting my earth-shaking {smile} decision somehow seemed to interest or resonate with more than a few readers.

AFTER


BEFORE


Bottom line?  Even though a few family members and friends were a bit shocked/disappointed, I am loving my pared-down kitchen.  The bad news is that the basketload is still holding court in the dining room, waiting expectantly for some kind of action. 

The good news is that every last nail has been pulled in prep for spackling and painting.  The resident handyman hasn't decided when that'll be.  And since there's a big ol' square hole carved over our eating area because of a mysterious water leak, I figure it'll get done sooner or later.


But in the process of surveying the scene with a critical eye, I became motivated to uncover our beautiful hardwood floors.  Two decades ago, we bought a heavy braided oval rug, which has served us very well.  But the sun streaming through the windows has faded it over time, and I'm not in need of protecting toddling little ones from bumps and bruises any more.  So ... I rolled it up and the resident handyman hauled it to the attic.  And I LOVE those cool smooth hardwood floors underfoot in the summertime.

AFTER


 BEFORE

And now ... what to do with that basket?  Ideas, anyone?


18 comments:

  1. Linda, I LOVE the chain reaction that happened for you, I'm so appreciative of anything that motivates me to look at my house differently and I so enjoyed reading your thoughts over the last month!!

    The basket of stuff? maybe offer items to your friends who have voiced that they miss your stuff on your wall?

    xoxoxo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wondering what the next victim of that chain reaction's gonna be, dear Nester. I've got half an eye on that crowded mantle and those faded valances ...

      Hugs and love to you, my sweet mentor!

      Linda

      Delete
  2. I love the floor without the rug! It looks great!
    The basket of kitchen things should go in the attic with the rug, so family members will have things to snoop through 20 years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Use some of the utensils! I've been using vintage utensils and they are fabulous!

    I'm a fan of your shiny hardwoods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christie! Nothing like wood, in hand or underfoot, yes?

      Linda

      Delete
  4. I'm so pleased you enjoyed the bare space above your cabinets. The attic--or dispersing the items to friends sounds like a great idea.

    I don't know what your family wears on its feet in the house, but I just wanted to pass on a cautionary note about shoes and hardwood: they don't get along. We didn't have a carpet for years on our hardwoods--and we wore shoes in the house (I had plantar fasciitis and had to have support. Plus, the floor was cold without a rug in winter) Long story short, over time, we wrecked our beautiful floor in the living room.

    If it were me, I'd remove 50% of what is on each shelf. It's certainly something I need to do for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hear it for bare feet in summer, slipper socks in winter, Alana!

      I love that you've stopped by this evening!

      Linda

      Delete
  5. The floors look great, as does the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The white space does me good, Lisa! {Maybe because I grew up in North Jersey?}

      ;-}

      Linda

      Delete
  6. I love vintage utensils although some do look a little scary. I think you could scare off any intruder with a rusty cheese grater. Love the hardwoods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thought, Louise! Who needs an expensive alarm system or a mean ol' dog when you've got an old cheese grater hanging by the door!!!

      ;-}

      Thanks for visiting!

      Linda

      Delete
  7. I totally sympathize with the chain reactions...but it's sort of good feeling...well, for a few minutes until the next link occurs to ya! I think this Nekkid June thang was better then Spring cleaning for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm thinking we're always in process, always moving ahead, evaluating here and there what's worth taking with us, and what's better left behind ...

      Linda

      Delete
  8. Garage sale! I would display those beautiful bowls on top of the bookshelves, somewhere lower, maybe use int he kitchen too? Maybe take down valances for simple breezy white curtains?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are ideas worth savoring, Jessica! Thanks for your creative insight!

      Linda

      Delete
  9. Whatever you choose to do with your kitchen tools will be good, I'm sure. It is so freeing to divest ourselves of the clutter in our lives. Since painting our bedroom, I had the opportunity to re-evaluate everything in the room because it was all shoved into the center of the room. The room is rearranged, clean and decluttered. I am determined to keep my dresser top free of all the clutter and papers that always accumulate.
    The bedroom closet is next. It needs painting, but I think 2 or 3 days or clearing it out has to happen first.
    I love hardwood floors and look forward to having them someday. How lovely that you uncovered yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I did the same thing this week when cleaning the bedroom furniture. The vintage doilies/dust collectors are tucked away, the old oak shines bright and remains clear of anything that's not absolutely necessary. You breathe easier, free-er, lighter, yes?

      Thanks, Elizabeth, for sharing a bit of what you've been working on. This seems to be a longing that's hitting home for many.

      Delete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...