Sunday, July 26, 2009

Motherhood

I love this article in today's local paper that addresses the myths that mothers wrestle with. I found Dr. Lubna Somjee to be "right on," having spent most of my adult life in the role of being a mom. Both of my daughters are now moms, and so I dedicate this post to them and to all the other moms out there - young and not so young, who struggle with the often difficult, exhausting reality of all that motherhood entails.

- Kristin & Jennifer -

Myth 1
Good mothers want to be with their children all the time.

Myth 2
A good mother can do it all.

Myth 3
I am a bad mother if I have other interests in my life.

Myth 4
I was told missing my pre-mom life makes me a bad mother.

Myth 5
Being a good mother means never complaining about your children.

- Melanie, Katie, Andrew, Lydia, Alexa -

So, lose the guilt trip, mom! And rid yourself of those old energy-sapping tapes that run through your head that say you're "not enough." You need that energy to care for your children - whether toddlers or teenagers.

Go ahead and free yourself up to celebrate your children, their uniqueness, and this very special role God has called you to in this season. Take a deep breath. Stay calm. Stay focused. Stop comparing yourself to the next-door supermom. Continue to develop the other areas of your life. Don't neglect your husband. And do cultivate your sense of humor!

You're raising the next generation of Christ-followers. He promises to give us "everything we need for life and godliness" (2 Peter 1:3). And that includes parenting!

Linda

"She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness"
- Proverbs 31:27.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...