Monday, June 8, 2009

3 Keys to Loving Interaction in the Church

"Our conscience testifies that we have conducted ourselves in the world, and especially in our relations with you, in the HOLINESS and SINCERITY that are from God. We have done so not according to worldly wisdom, but according to God's GRACE"
- 2 Corinthians 1:12.

I read this verse today with new eyes.

Holiness. Sincerity. Grace.

These are the 3 keys to our interactions with others - most particularly in the family we call "the church." Paul tells us to lose the "worldly wisdom." Forget all this business model stuff that's infiltrated our midst. Ultimately, it's not working because it doesn't deal with the heart. It's taken us in an ineffective and unedifying direction.

Sad, unfortunate stories abound. Hearts are broken. Trust is lost. People turn from the faith. Priceless relationships are shattered. The church's testimony is tragically marred and irrevocably altered as those outside the walls sit back, observe our behavior, and nail us as hypocrites.

Why? Because we didn't love one another well.

The solution? We need to get back to Scriptural basics.

Holiness. Sincerity. Grace. Character shows through. These attributes can't just be drummed up. They don't evolve from a hot new program or a snazzy game plan. They are about relationship. First, with God. And then, with others.

#1. HOLINESS - If I have any holiness at all, it is because He's changed my heart. Made it new. My intents and agendas slowly but surely lose their self-protective, self-centered focus. They become Christ-focused. They are pure. And powerful.

The goal? To please and honor God. Not myself.

#2. SINCERITY - No masks. Genuine and transparent clear through. No phony double-speak. My "yes" is "yes." My "no" is "no." I'm the same person on Saturday night as I am on Sunday morning.

The goal? I refuse to say one thing to one person and another thing to the next.

#3. GRACE - Unmerited favor. I don't deserve all that God has lavishly extended to me. I don't deserve who He is, what He has provided. But I accept it with joy. And because I have been forgiven much, I can extend that same generosity of spirit to those He brings into my life. I become a servant.

The goal? I don't keep a record of wrongs. I am able to extend lavish favor and forgiveness. Gladly.

Journaling, discovering, reflecting ~
Linda

"... I am not writing you a new command but one we have had from the beginning. I ask that we love one another. And this is love: that we walk in obedience to His commands. As you have heard from the beginning, His command is that you walk in love" - 2 John 5-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...