Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Bit of Sabbatical Rest

I've been pretty much unplugged in recent weeks, with my only computer access coming via a trip to the local library or a jaunt to my parents' house a half hour away.  The tiny, vintage 1950s beach cottage that my husband and I call home for 2 weeks each September possesses maybe five electrical outlets.  There's none of the amenities that we've become accustomed to.  No TV, no phone, no microwave, no washer/dryer, no dishwasher.  There's barely room to turn around in this quiet little retreat. 

Just the most elemental basics.  And we like it that way.  Life becomes very, very simple as we look through those old windows out to the sea. 

- The Blackie clan -
This time away is a purposeful escape that we yearn for, plan for all year. There was a moment here and there that I missed blogging and trolling the internet, but the time away from the screen was energizing and refreshing and much needed.  Lots of walks, conversations, rest, explorations, reading, and journaling.  Extended time with God.  And that much longed for reconnection with the sea ... and with my family and husband of 35 years.

This bit of sabbatical rest was good for the body, good for the soul, and good for the relationship I have with my heavenly Father.  

I spent one evening sifting through all the sermon notes stuffed into my Bible.  This journal entry reflects the impact of that simple task ...

"I spend more time copying some of this summer's sermon notes into my Bible.  Your Word is so precious to me.  How thankful I am for those men and women who have taught me over the years.  I am richer with conviction and life change and insight because You've sent them my way.  Bring joy to my soul as I reflect on what I have learned on my journey.  And daily reveal more truths of Your Word, more treasures of Your heart to me.  I have such a long way to go, to grow.  And it will only be by Your Spirit that I will in any way begin to bear the image of my Savior, Jesus Christ.

Continue the work that You've already started in my life.  Thank You for Your grace and patience with me when I have not been grace-filled or patient.  Thank You for not becoming weary with my process of maturing to be more and more like Christ.  Quicken my heart, give me a deeper desire to strive for godliness, holiness, Christlikeness.  Let me never become bored or complacent or nonchalant about the faith that You are shaping in me.  Stretch and grow me, even when it hurts.  Conquer my selfish resistance and any sense of self-satisfaction or thinking I might have somehow come close to arriving.

I know I have such a long way to go ... encourage me on my journey to be closer and closer to Your heart."

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...