Thursday, December 23, 2010

Letting the Non-Essentials Go

Lynne Hybels muses, "At 29, 39, and 49, I couldn't imagine an unhurried holiday season. At 59, I have realized that very little matters ..."

Read why and you'll probably agree heartily ... even if you're not 59 years old. 

I didn't bake the Surprise Meringue cookies this year.  I dipped dried apricots and crispy pretzels in chocolate and almonds or sprinkles.  It was easier.  And more fun for me.

I didn't put a wreath on the front door.  But the candles in the windows were a must. 

I didn't send Christmas cards this year.  I just didn't have the time - there was too much pressing in my life.  Maybe I'll do it in January.  Or not. 

The vintage heirloom tree ornaments are still stored away in boxes, stacked in the basement.  I want my grandchildren to be able to play with the tree.

We decided not to have a New Year's Open House.  I love doing it.  But I knew I wasn't going to have the energy.

This year I made the choice to let all the non-essentials go.  And embrace what is truly important to me, my husband, my family.

And all I can say is, "It is well with my soul." 

Because all I really want to do is "make it my goal to please HIM" {2 Corinthians 5:8}.  After all, it is HIS birthday celebration, isn't it ...
Happy Birthday, Jesus.  I love You.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...