Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Stop Waiting Around


Way back a decade or so ago, I printed out this quote.  I needed to see it in blue and white.  It held court on my office bulletin board for a time, and ended up tucked in the front pocket of my first journal.  I needed to be reminded again and again that God had placed a call on my life, and, wonder of wonders, had seen fit to give me what I needed to put that call into action.

Yes, there were some naysayers along the way.  And I'll be the first to admit that I got more than a bit disappointed, frustrated, and discouraged by the questioning of my motives, odd looks, being treated like I was invisible, and excluded from tables to which I was qualified to sit at.  Truth be told, lots of people, mostly men, didn't quite know what to do with a woman in ministry, especially one with a pastoral calling.

But you know what?  You've just gotta move on.  Many of us have wasted altogether way too much energy and time fighting the status quo, trying to explain ourselves, dealing with the good ol' boys club, endless political wrangling, and hitting those denominational glass ceilings.  We've gotta stop waiting around for affirmation and approval and accolades from the self-appointed powers that be. 

For we'll only get that from God Himself. 

Bottom line is this.  There's a world out there filled with broken, wounded people who need to know that Jesus Christ can bring hope, healing, and wholeness.  God has gifted you to be something special, to do something substantial for His kingdom. 

So stop waiting around for an invite to a place at the table, your name in lights, or some kind of appointed position, dear sister.  It might not ever happen.  Move ahead.  Roll up your sleeves and get to work.  The time is short, the fields are white and ready to harvest, and your unique combination of giftedness, abilities, and calling are sorely needed.
 
The Apostle Paul said it best - We make it our goal to please Him.  And as our focus shifts to honoring Him alone, you can be assured that almighty God Himself will open the doors to serve Him, one by one ...




 

==> sharing hope with Beth  .  Emily  .  Laura  .  Kristen

16 comments:

  1. I do hope you link this up at Wedded Wed, Linda. It's something I completely resonate with. My husband and I have been in this kind of season for quite a while. But you've encouraged me, my friend, as always ... God has a bright future for us and so many others. Please share this encouraging message over at my place! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got it, dear friend! Yes, we do keep on resonating together on many important things ...

      Delete
  2. Excellent post- I couldn't have said it better myself!! Forget the names in lights, we are supposed to be humble and have a servant's heart! If we focus on doing, behaving, thinking and speaking the way God wants us to, we won't have time to "self-promote". As Nike says "Just do it!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Marilyn, and sadly self-promotion seems to be the name of the game, a worldly mindset that's crept into our churches, ministries. Oh, to be less self-obsessed and more God-oriented!

      I'm really glad you shared your thoughts on this ...

      Delete
  3. You couldn't have known how perfect this is for me to read today. But God knew! Thanks, Linda. And God! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Linda
    My son, a youth pastor friend of ours and myself were having a cup of coffee together just this morning when we spoke about how the whitest fields for harvest are amongst the western worldly churches today! So, go for it sister and don't fret too much about nonsense.
    Bless your dear heart.
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Mia, that's my encouragement to all my sisters out there who have so much to offer ... it's for freedom He's set us free!

      Delete
  5. Amen. Him alone. He is all I need. Thank you so much for this reminder, friend, and for linking with Imperfect Prose. Bless you, e.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Emily! 'In Christ alone my hope is found ...'

      Delete
  6. "So stop waiting around for an invite to a place at the table, your name in lights, or some kind of appointed position, dear sister. It might not ever happen. Move ahead. Roll up your sleeves and get to work. The time is short, the fields are white and ready to harvest, and your unique combination of giftedness, abilities, and calling are sorely needed."
    Perfect. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hanging with me all these months, my friend! God was good to bring us together over the miles ...

      ;-}

      Delete
  7. Thank you! I needed to read your post today. The quote is also fabulous. Thanks for sharing. Blessings to you, sis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you've joined us early this morning, Mari-Anna! Welcome to Creekside!

      Delete
  8. Amen, Linda. When God calls a heart, obedience is the best option! Thank you for your brave obedience and for the example you set for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Laura. 'We make it our goal to please Him' {2 Corinthians 5:9} ...

      Delete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...