Friday, June 12, 2015

Gleanings = Shareworthy Reads


It's been exactly one year since the Gleanings segments made an appearance around here.  Since then, the sidebar's From Hither & Yon: Shareworthy Reads became the go-to place where I shared my most recent finds ... the stuff that enlarged our borders, refreshed our souls, lent an ah-HA moment, or caused laughter and / or tears to come bubbling forth..

The down side?  Tucked at the bottom of the sidebar, these gems weren't front and center for your consideration.  And the links would be replaced at a moment's notice by newer writings and you couldn't go back to re-access the ones that had been removed.

Gleanings has now morphed back into its rightful place, posts of their very own, whose links stay available to you long after newer reads arrive on the scene.  I hope these random shareworthy reads will spark the encouraging conversations that Creekside's becoming known for.  Or provide sustenance for your own personal reflection ... or maybe morph into discussion generators on your back porch, 'round your kitchen table, or on your social media sites.

"       "       "       "

Loving My Sister-Brother ~ Margaret Philbrick
'Over dinner one night, my sibling announced that he was becoming a woman.  And so began the greatest test of my faith ...'


The Camera: An Introvert's BFF ~ Jennifer Mattern @ Quiet Revolution
'Birthday parties.  Bar mitzvahs.  Graduations. Reunions.  Weddings.  The blank squares of my calendar disappear beneath scribbles of purple Sharpie ink.  Let's face it: social occasions happen ...'


How I'm Finding Freedom From Shame {A Three Step Process} ~ Lauren @Sobremesa Stories
'The first time I remember feeling shame, that gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach, was in middle school.  I struggled in my relationships with girl friends, and remember one particular conversation with a girl friend who told me she didn't want me around when the boy she liked was there because I was "too much," and when I was my full self I was "obnoxious" ...


The Gentle Path to a Simpler Life ~ Courtney Carver @ Be More With Less
'It seems like life gets complicated overnight, but when you step back, it's clear that things usually build up slowly over months and years.  Maybe your life started out hopeful and carefree, and then in an effort to follow the rules, or the herd, or the path people thought you should be on, you went into debt, took a job you weren't crazy about, or ...'


When Your Apology Is Used Against You ~ Beth Steffaniak @ Messy Marriage
'It's never easy to make yourself vulnerable nor to lay your heart out on the table in a sincere and humble apology before the one person on earth who matters most - your spouse.  But what's worse is when your spouse uses your apology against you ...'

"       "       "       "

I'd love for you to share the links to your own best recent writing or reading in the comment section.  Do a little cut and paste, will ya?  'Cause this community just can't wait to get to know you better!

May your soul and body scoop up plenty of peace-fueled rest as you browse ~

18 comments:

  1. Love how intentional you are when drawing us to think! Thank you for the change since I am guilty of reading today's blog & never looking for more.
    Blessings, Friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hop, skip, and jump around quickly, don't we! I hope that resurrecting GLEANINGS is helpful.

      So ... dear Lulu, which of your posts do you want to share here?

      Delete
  2. Well, how about a short story?

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2015/06/and-now-for-something-completely.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kinda neat to go out of our typical writing style and head in a different direction, huh?

    Thanks, Andrew, for priming the pump!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you are always encouraging and building into your community. I learn a lot from your gentle and fun way of lifting each of us up. Have a blessed weekend and find time to build into yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this tribe ... just like I know you love those who gather at your place. And it is a lovely grace that some who are there are here. And visa versa!

      May your Sabbath rest give you wings as you soar into this next season, Mary!

      Delete
  5. Linda, it helps me get to know people better when they offer glimpses of reading material that means something to them. That's why I appreciate posts like this so much. I will look forward to more Gleanings in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I guess that would help you get to know another on a deeper level! I hope this series won't disappoint!

      And I hope your weekend's been stellar, too ...

      Delete
  6. Thanks for making me think - out loud..... Blessings ~Chris~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking outloud ... that's kinda cool!

      Glad you've visited us this weekend, Chris!

      Delete
  7. Wow, thanks for sharing my post on shame! I'm grateful for people like you who try to make the internet a space where we can share, encourage, and lift each other up. Thanks for sharing all these great posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wounded souls who head toward a counseling relationship are just plain brave. Those who take it a step further and share what they've gleaned with others who struggle mightily are brave x 100! Thanks for being authentic and transparent, Lauren.

      You are welcome here anytime, girl, 'cause this here's a healing place!

      ;-}

      Delete
  8. 'Gleanings' are one of my favorite types of posts, Linda - so much good stuff to share! Hope you're having a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's just plain good to know, June! The Gleanings posts never were big attention-getters, but my eyes are less on the stats these days. Those obnoxious numbers are coming to matter less and less.

      And for that answered prayer, I praise God!

      ;-}

      And I'm thankful, too, for the beautiful bracelet and lovely card from you that arrived in the mail today. I'm a sucker for a great bracelet! Be sure that I'll be thinking of you every time I tie it on ...

      Delete
  9. So beautiful to draw attention to inspiring reads especially from other sources.
    Many Blessings friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure if I'm inspired, those who share in community with me will be inspired as well!

      ;-}

      Delete
  10. I love the idea of sharing other writers' works that you have found. I must get better at pointing out great posts from other bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! No matter what they say, blogging's not dead! There's some exceptional work out there and I want to champion the good reads ...

      ;-}

      Delete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...