Sunday, February 15, 2015

Quick Lit : : The Blizzard Edition

We're hunkered down in the Cape Cod blizzard, my man and I ... snow swirling endlessly in the frigid air out these windows that are rattling just a bit too loudly.  Kinda like those little snowglobes you shook violently as a little kid. The winds are gusting up to 64 mph right about now.  And I'm just grateful to be inside.  Warm.  Safe.

What a perfect day to be joining Anne's Quick Lit link-up, chatting briefly about the books I've been paging through this month.

If you crave a good book in your hands, you're going to love hanging out at her place.  Especially if you're going just a bit stircrazy, stuck indoors at home.

*

The Introvert's Way: Living a Quiet Life in  Noisy World - Sophie Dembling
If you're an introvert, you'll love this book ... it's like looking in the mirror and saying 'yes, yes, that's so ME!'

If you've got an introvert in your life and you can't quite figure her / him out,  this smart, fun, easy-to-read book will help you put those crazy puzzle pieces together.


Introverts in Love: The Quiet Way to Happily Ever After - Sophie Dembling
I liked her first book better.  Maybe because I'm happily married and not looking for love.  And maybe because I couldn't relate to some of the relationship scenarios the author painted.


The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time -  Mark Haddon
This hugely acclaimed novel has been a big hit.  But after about 28 pages I put it down.  I found the narration by the fictional 15 year old autistic Christopher Boone to be strangely unsettling.  Looking at life through his eyes brought a sadness to me that I just wasn't ready to face.  My apologies to my sister book club members.


The Last Juror - John Grisham
I'm making my way through all of Grisham's novels for at least the second time.  I love his wry sense of humor, crisp writing, and oft' quirky characters.  He's created yet another fascinating 1970s Mississippi saga with his legendary trademark storytelling gift.  Always, always a good read.


Choose Joy: Because Happiness Isn't Enough - Kay Warren
I had to sit with these words, soak them in, make them my own ... 'Joy is the settled assurance that God is in control of all the details of my life, the quiet confidence that ultimately everything is going to be all right, and the determined choice to praise God in all things.'

Kay is a deep well brimming over with wisdom, the kind borne through sorrow and storm.  These pages are touching my heart.  Thanks to my sister for the birthday gift I'm finally reading half a year later.  Sorry it took me so long to pick it up.


One Thousand Gift Devotional: Reflections on Finding Everyday Graces - Ann Voskamp
It's been a few years since I read Ann's 1000 Gifts.  This daily devotional is a lovely look back at the most essential truths that she shared in her bestseller.  I'm reaching for this book eagerly every day ... sometimes early in the morning as I open my eyes.  And sometimes after a really long day when I need to experience those huge hugs of our Savior's warmest grace.

There's plenty of room to jot down your own everyday gratitudes.  What an encouraging gift for a sister who needs to gently experience God's care.


 
we've jumped right into our 8th year around here with giveaways right and left
 
and this little tote is making its debut this week!

subscribe here so you don't miss the party!

22 comments:

  1. Hi Linda! I actually liked the Dog at Midnight book. My nephew has autism, so my brother recommended that I read the book. (That's why there are so many books and authors!) The Choose Joy book sounds like one I should read, because 'joy' is my word for the year. Thanks for the tip!
    My sister in Boston is just overwhelmed...my brother in Ithaca says they'd had their share too. I can't imagine 64 mph winds?? Stay safe and cozy my friend!
    Hope you had a great weekend,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the Dog book will be more appealing at another time ... just didn't work for me right about now.

      ;-{

      Yes, my sister's near Boston, too, and she's never seen anything like this winter. It's a bit better here at the Cape where we're right out in the middle of the ocean and the salty air seems to keep the worst of the winter at bay.

      Thanks for weighing in on the books, friend. Would love to do book club with you!

      ;-}

      Delete
  2. That picture is amazing! I got cold just by looking at it!

    I'm an introvert so I really need to check out the first two books you mentioned. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Cain's QUIET is another great introvert book, too. All the pieces of who we are really come together we read who we are in black and white.

      Thanks for stopping in, Chrys!

      Delete
  3. Hey Linda. I look at that picture and have to work really really hard to find sympathy. I mean really hard. :) We had the kind of winter last year you are having this year and i don't miss not having to shovel yet this winter. We have had two dustings and that is it. We are in for some frigid temps they say over the next two weeks so I may hunker down in the office and work on some things. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband would love for you to come travel east and wield a shovel ... or even a snow blower! How 'bout a plow? Our street has had only one pass through in the entire storm.

      No complaints. We're happy!

      Be well ...

      Delete
  4. Have a Nanny's Day Off and wanted to catch up. It actually sounds wonderful---hunkered down, warm and in the company of the man you love.--Books are filled with this romantic scenario! I have missed you and your wisdom friend--hopefully a couple of more weeks & I am back!
    Sabbath Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope that dropping by gave you a bit of a break, Lulu! A couple more weeks? My, you're a brave one!

      ;-}

      Hang on and enjoy the ride!

      Delete
  5. The visual of being stuck in a snow globe just made me shiver, Linda! You stay safe indoors, my friend. I need to check out that book, The Introvert's Way. It looks right up my alley. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stuck in a snow globe ... when you put it that way, it's kinda funny, Candace!

      The worst is over. Now? Just super cold outside. But not to worry, we've got a good quilt or two handy!

      ;-}

      Delete
  6. Hope the snow globe effect goes away soon!
    I am a big Grisham fan and have read most of his books. I'm also an introvert so I am sure that I could find a lot of takeaways from those books. And Ann Voskamp-oh my, here words are pictures for my soul.
    Have a wonderful week! Can't wait to talk to you on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another Grisham fan! Yay!

      And yes, Mary, I can't wait to connect with you ... I love these blog coaching calls!

      See you then ...

      ;-}

      Delete
  7. I'm jealous of all the snow you have!! It literally NEVER snows where I live.. and thanks for the fun reading list. Always looking for good reads here! <3 - www.domesticgeekgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little snow goes along way! A lot of snow gets to be a bit much.

      ;-}

      Have a good week, Gingi!

      Delete
  8. So many interesting titles here, Linda! Wish I could pop over with you and read together. But I'll avoid the snow. :) Stay warm, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharing a quiet space to read with another soul is an intimate form of connection. I feel honored that you'd like to connect in that way, friend.

      Now ... to shrink the miles!

      ;-}

      Delete
  9. The Choose Joy book sounds wonderful. I keep saying this though . . . I need to stop buying books. lol. I have oh so many to be read. I'm currently reading Emotionally Healthy Spirituality by Peter Scazzero as part of our small group campaign at church. It's very good and challenging. Praying for warmth for you all. Much love. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emotionally Healthy Spirituality was one of the most powerful books I've read along the way, Beth. This is MUST reading for every pastor, every ministry leader, every kindred spirit that sits side by side in the pews.

      Absolutely.

      Delete
  10. Love your list of books Linda-I never read just one type either ;)
    I am home on a snow day with no snow. Wish we could take an inch or two off your hands! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm heavy on the fiction in this season, Sarah. I think it's because so much of the work I do is intense. The light reading gives my life a bit of balance.

      And that's always a good thing!

      ;-}

      Delete
  11. It's time I go to the library and check out the Grisham books I'm behind on! Generally speaking, I try to stay out of the library because I always end up owing them money...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be sunk {and broke!} if i didn't have the library, Anita! I love logging in and requesting the books I want ... and when they find them from somewhere in the Mid-Hudson region, they shoot me an email and I've got 7 days to pick them up. It just doesn't get better than that!

      Some of my favorite childhood memories have to do with the library. LOVED it ...

      Delete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...