Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Way-Too-Easy Teddy Bear Wreath

Sometimes you've got plenty of time and an overflowing pool of creative juices that enable you to design and craft a really fine wreath.  Awesome, really. 
 
A fabulous masterpiece, a truly impressive welcome at your front door.  A Pinterest worthy offering that people tend to ooh and ahh over, a gorgeous creation that looks like something on the glossy cover of your favorite magazine or a featured post on one of those spectacular decorating blogs. 
 
And how 'bout those beauties you're drooling over at The Nester's Great Big Huge Wreath Party even as we speak?  Wow!
 
And then there are those holiday seasons where you're lucky to find a tree and get it in the stand.  The lights are tangled and half of them aren't working anyway.  Someone somehow dropped the plastic container with all the fragile ornaments and they smashed to smithereens.  Baby Jesus is nowhere to be found in the old cardboard manger scene box and the advent calender is strangely missing the little widgets for day #13 and day #21. 
 
You're on your last nerve and not feeling all that jolly.  You're a bit astonished and more than disappointed to find that there's not one single drop of creative energy anywhere in your bone-weary body.
 
Or ...
 
Life is coming at you right and left ... and it's not all good.  Illness and money woes and family situations, time crunches and work pressures and huge decisions all seem to be colliding into one great big overwhelming mess.  And truth be told, you'll be lucky to get supper on the table tonight.
 
But that doesn't mean your joy and your sense of humor have to go out the window.  The key is to take the pressure off.  Show yourself a bit of much-needed grace.  And create something simple that makes you smile. 
 
Period.
 
I'll be honest.  I'm not feeling all that creative these days.  I've made a series of conscious choices to focus my energies elsewhere.  And that's ok.  It truly is.  I'm not too terribly embarrassed to say that I love this wreath that took me all of 5 minutes to pull together a few years back.
 
 
 
 
A favorite Boyd's Bear holds court front and center on this no-brainer door decoration.  Snuggled deep in the artificial {yes, fake} greenery, this sweet fuzzy friend is a welcome, whimsical sight at the front door.  The bow was easy-peasy to make with the shimmering gold and red ribbon's wire edges easily bending and draping all over the place.  My grandchildren got a big kick out of it.
 
And that was good enough for me.
 
The Nester's mantra, 'it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful,' is never more true than in seasons like this one when there's a subtle yet ever-present expectation for hand-crafted exquisite perfection in our decorating endeavours, in the gifts we give, and the food we put on our tables. 
 
Sigh.
 
Honestly?  I'd rather dim the lights, settle in with a cup of hot cocoa, and truly enjoy what bit of quirky creativity God is giving me right about now rather than sending myself on a guilt trip because my home's not looking like it came right out of a magazine.
 
You, too?  
 
 
And then just graciously let the rest go ... 
 
 
* partying with Myquillyn & Kristen 





28 comments:

  1. Love the teddy bear wreath! I went through all my Christmas decorations a few years ago and got rid of lots of the stuff I didn't like any more. it is easier and I only put out the decorations I like or have good memories associated with them. Gone are the days where every room had decorations in them, including the bedrooms. Of course we did find an electric candle in a side window last summer that we overlooked when we took things down! I will try to do a better job this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That surprise summertime discovery? Now THAT'S funny!

      ;-}

      Delete
  2. My girls play with my Boyd's bears these days. They would love your wreath! :) I think it is a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I treasure my vintage Christmas decorations, I really do love just bringing out all the stuff that is unbreakable and letting the gang have at 'em.

      I don't want to be police-ing the Christmas decorations, ya know?

      ;-}

      Delete
  3. Linda,

    Your wreath is lovely...we don't have one up but because of our girl's insistence, we do have a tree up and you're right, it doesn't have to be perfect - our dog chewed three ornaments this morning...you're wise to do just what works for you so you and your family can enjoy Christ in Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ... how 'bout a wreath laden with chewed up ornaments!

      ;-}

      Love that you're sharing Christmas with us here, Dolly ...

      Delete
  4. If it wasn't for the lack of creative times, we may not appreciate those truly creative moments in our lives. I have those times when writing sermons just clicks. I feel the energy and creativity flowing unabashedly. Other times it is like pulling teeth. Nothing wrong with nestling in, hunkering down and relaxing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those pulling teeth sessions are maddening, aren't they ... whether writing sermons or homework assignments or the final chapters of a book with a deadline looming.

      The good thing about creating something beautiful or writing a post ... if it's just not working, you can just pack it up and walk away for awhile.

      I always appreciate your perspective here, Bill. Thanks for dropping in at o'dark thirty today!

      Delete
  5. I love your wreath - so warm and inviting, perfect for the season! I love that you spent only 5 minutes to pull it off. That's the approach I take on decorating nowadays, as our life gets busier every year! Hope you have a wonderful advent season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, my artist friend, are so incredibly gracious!

      Readers ... Yuko is opening her own shop ... we're talking TALENT here! Please travel over to check out her lovely online space.

      ;-}

      Delete
  6. I have all of my Christmas totes sitting stacked one upon the other in my foyer, Linda. They've been there for a day and probably will sit there another day AT LEAST, so you're not alone on the sparse decorating! ha! But like you I'm trying to be selective on what I decide to put my energies into. That said, I LOVE this wreath! So vintagy, so cute, so simple! All things that I love. Besides seeing your door again brings back all sorts of warm fuzzies for me! How appropriate that you would put a "warm fuzzy" on your wreath to welcome all your lovely guests in! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for delivering some warm fuzzy words here today, Beth. They're much needed and very appreciated right about now!!

      You're the best!!

      ;-}

      Delete
  7. Hi Linda! You know, this year I am filled with so much joy for the Christmas season, and especially Advent. Last year, my daughter gave birth to baby #2 on Dec. 19th, so it was a crazy, hectic and travel Christmas time. Phew! I'm so happy for dark evenings by my tree (prelit and fake), drinking my tea (decaf or I'll be awake until Christmas) and working on Christmas cards. What a gift to be able to go a bit slower.

    Personally I like your wreath. I'm allergic to evergreen, so bring on the fake! The only true and natural thing I need is my faith and my enthusiasm. That will make this Advent a thing of beauty.
    (Can we sip tea together someday? Huh, can we???)
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prelit and fake? Check.

      Decaf tea? Check.

      Christmas cards ... uh, not so much.

      The kettle's on, my friend. The kettle's on!

      ;-}

      Delete
  8. AMEN--have LOTS of things I have let go of this year--forced to--and it is OK! I think you are QUITE creative--look at the words on this page!
    Blessings, Friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right ... and very perceptive, lovely lady! The writing is where the creative juices are flowing these days. Deep and wide. But the decorating, the endless boxes of collected stuff, the noise and commotion of malls and too jolly music?

      Nope.

      Thanks for reminding me that our words matter. I needed that gentle nudge today!

      ;-}

      Delete
  9. That sounds like heaven, can I join you for that cup of cocoa? My home will never look like it came out of a magazine. Someone who have to send me their budget for starters, ha ha. Making memories that count. That's what is most important for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making memories. Yes. Yes. Yes! I'm all about that these days with my family and friends. It's all about loving well.

      And a hot cup of cocoa.

      Come on over, Kim! I've got either whipped cream or marshmellows to top it off.

      ;-}

      Delete
  10. Indeed. Such a great reminder, to focus on the essentials and let the rest go. Thanks for this, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deidra ... your visit is such a bright spot to my day. Thank you for coming by and sharing in what's essential ... relationships, love, laughter. And Jesus.

      Appreciate you greatly ...

      Delete
  11. Beautiful wreath! Last year and this year we won't be home for Christmas, and so adding that fact to the fact that I can't in good conscience pay $50.00 for a Christmas tree (when we lived in Montana we just went out on our school's ski hill and cut down a beautiful tree for free)...well, I'm not sure any decorating will be done (other than my holiday-themed Kleenex boxes ;). And I'm ok with that. Maybe next year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep ... I hear you about the $50+ trees! It was one of the reasons we decided to go 'pre-lit' a few years ago. We've never looked back!

      And those holiday-themed Kleenex boxes are a fun idea!

      Thanks for sharing in community here, Anita ...

      Delete
  12. Yes-I am simply going to do what I can do! My focus is on sharing gifts with family that highlight the gifts that God gave me. Getting back to where our time should be spent and how God's story is what is important as well as blessing others in simple ways. Sometimes a smile and a kind word are all that is needed.

    I really do love your wreath. My favorite decorations are the ones that I have made over the years. Thanks for keeping it real! Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Sometimes a smile and a kind word are all that is needed.'

      I do believe you've said it best, Mary! Maybe we'd do better to put our wallets away and shift our focus from over-the-top gifts and endless decorating and invest it in deeper relationships instead ...

      I so appreciate that you're here!

      Delete
  13. I actually surprised myself last night and got a little crafty (with help from my husband). I have a ladies tea tonight at my church and I am hosting a table. I made a little something for a take home gift using candy canes, ribbons and scripture cards. :) After pulling it all together I started to think I needed to redo the scripture cards but then I remembered . . . present over perfect. That's my motto for the month.
    I love your wreath!
    Love YOU.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE your motto! 'Present over perfect.'

      YAY, Beth!

      ;-}

      Delete
  14. I love the permission to not be creative master of all this Christmas! :) Expectations we place on ourselves can be so high, and sometimes we just don't have it that together. Cute bear wreath too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's be all about taking the pressure off ourselves this year. Enjoying those we love. Sharing experiences that will be long remembered. Giving to those who without.

      And honoring our Savior.

      Thanks for joining us in this conversation, Carol. I'm so glad you're here!

      Delete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...