Sunday, November 23, 2014

On Living with Abounding Gratitude

'Praise the Lord, O my soul;
all my inmost being, praise His holy name.

Praise the Lord, O my soul,
and forget not all His benefits -

who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases,

who redeems your life from the pit
and crowns you with love and compassion,

who satisfies your desires with good things
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.'
~   Psalm 103:1-5   ~


Oh God,

Since we're so obviously human and confined to this space and time we can't even begin to get a glimpse of Your most majestic sacred glory.  It's just simply beyond our earthly comprehension.

But we can tell you that we deeply adore You for who You are.  Holy.  Holy.  Holy. 

You are worthy to be praised with all that's deep within us, even if we won't ever be able to get our hands around Your awesomely supreme nature, Your perfect character, Your never ending loving grace and perfect judgement.

But we can see the blessings You've rained down on us ... You, the powerful Healer and Protector of our souls.  The faithful Giver of our daily bread and butter.  The discerning Provider of our endless needs.  The constant comforting companionship of Your sweet sacred Spirit.

And yes, Jesus, Jesus, the brutal sacrifice of Your life's blood shed so freely.

We are overflowing with a gratitude laced with peace-filled joy.

Accept the praises that we bring. You have been so incredibly faithful.

We bow the knee in Jesus Name ~
Amen.

<>

'When your mind is occupied with thanking Me,
you have no time for worrying or complaining. 

If you practice thankfulness consistently,
negative thought patterns will gradually grow weaker and weaker. 
 
Draw near to Me with a grateful heart,
and My Presence will fill you with Joy and Peace.'
~   Sarah Young, JESUS CALLING   ~
 

<>
image creator

sharing gratitude with Candace

20 comments:

  1. Such a MIGHTY prayer---Thank You, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda! I do really love Jesus Calling. Thank you for that inspiring quote. And your take on thanksgiving is so true. If I fill my heart with that, there should be no more room for all the negative thoughts. This the week to rededicate myself to thanks...I'm looking forward to the challenge.
    You are always an inspiration my friend,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That little devotional companion's made a huge difference in my life, Ceil. And I often share Sarah's words with my counseling clients at the end of our sessions together, and together we marvel at how her Christ-honoring writings can resonate over and over again somewhere deep, no matter the challenges we face.

      Re-dedicating myself along with you, friend ...

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photo, beautiful thoughts and beautiful friend! Hugs to you, Linda! And Happy almost Thanksgiving! {But thanking God with or without a holiday to tell me to!} ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too cool that we were on each other's blogs at the same time. I love when God connects kindred spirits ...

      Thanks for your video ... I needed to hear your wise words, Beth, as I'm the one who'll be hauling the big ol' bird in and out of the oven. Martha Stewart I'm not ...

      But trusting and praising Him anyway!

      Peace.

      Delete
  4. We had our Thanksgiving service at church last night and one by one the congregation got up to share when they were grateful. We were to pick one word. Oh how there were many words I could have chosen. I picked Faithfulness. He has surely revealed His faithfulness to me this past year. But this morning, after hearing all the testimonies my word is Overflowing. My cup overflows with gratitude.
    I am grateful for friends like YOU.
    Much love.
    Wishing you a most wonderful Thanksgiving.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overflowing with you, my friend! For He has been so good ... in the sunshine and in the storm. So let's keep on speaking it, writing it, singing it to each other, all together.

      Thanksgiving blessings to you, comfort, and joy ...

      Delete
  5. Such a beautiful and powerful post. As always, thank you for reminding me of what really matters. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet blessings to you, lovely lady ...

      ;-}

      Delete
  6. Powerful, Linda. Psalm 103 is one of my favorites. It's so easy for me to forget "his benefits" - I need a reminder often of my propensity to forget!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you about that propensity to forget and to get preoccupied, Loren. No wonder we need to stay in His Word!

      Thanks for dropping by during this busy week. It's so good to have you here!

      Delete
  7. Abounding gratitude. I love that! If we can be filled with gratitude there wouldn't be room for anything else.

    Jesus, because of You, I always have enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Let's be stuffed with gratitude instead of all that other junk that sneaks in to define us. Thanks, Sarah, for sharing a bit of yourself in this space.

      Comfort and joy to you as we celebrate this week, lovely friend!

      Delete
  8. Beautifully expressed, Linda! I always find inspiration and encouragement here - thank you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your sweet words are such an encouragement on this rainy morning, June! Simply put, I'm grateful that you're in community with us in this little space. Your kindness always bring a smile to my heart ...

      Thanksgiving graces to you, to yours, friend!

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful, powerful love letter to our awesome Father, Linda! My son and I read a devotion from Jesus Calling for kids every morning. It's such a perfect way to start the day. And your words are the perfect way to start my holiday weekend, my friend! Thank you :). Have a fantastic Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesus Calling is a fine devotional companion ... from little ones to our oldest family members, there's something deeply needed in every writing.

      I'm glad you love it, too, Candace! And I'm not surprised!

      I hope your Thanksgiving celebration was superb ...

      Delete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...