Thursday, May 15, 2014

Gleanings : : Blog Bling * Happy Clappy * To Counseling * His Headache * Yard Sale

Gathered from recent wanderings hither and yon, here and there . . .
 
 

The New Blog Bling: Am I Pimping My Posts? - {what are we doing with what we write?}
'A moment before hitting publish on a recent post and just before doing a run through in hopes of passing inspection with Yoast, I wondered, “Do I have enough blog buttons?”  I’ve noticed a trend lately…to link with multiple blogs in a single post.  In an effort to share the love or, more likely, create opportunities for more views and comments, we’re displaying rows of blog buttons.  Is this the new blog bling? ...'


17 Things Extremely Happy People Say Every Day - {be sure to check this out}
'There’s an easy-to-articulate, hard-to-implement best practice when it comes to how to teach yourself to be happy.  It stems from the recognition that the positive things you do for other people often reverberate back to create positivity in your own life.  In effect, doing little things to make other people happy can greatly improve your happiness ...'


Yep, I'm Going To Counseling - {this conversation needs to be on the table}
'I lean forward on the comfy couch and share what’s been going on in my heart with my counselor.  She nods and listens carefully.  She takes notes and asks insightful questions.  “You’ve had a lot of change in your life over the last few years, haven’t you?”  “Yes,” I respond, “Some parts are really wonderful…and some are really hard.  And I need ...'


Help!  My Husband is the One with the 'Headache' - {and this is not all that uncommon}
'Watch a movie or flip through some TV sitcoms and you will hear that men always want sex.  Men are portrayed as constantly turned on and trying to get their wives into bed, while the women are typically shown rolling their eyes.  Ask a group “What do men think about most often?” and their answer will no doubt be “Sex!”  When you step into the Christian culture, this stereotype may be even worse ...'


9 Types of People You Meet At Yard Sales  - {a cheap fun way to while away a Saturday morning}
'You already know that yard sales are a great place to find a good deal.  During the spring, you’ll have many chances to take a drive on a Saturday morning and find deals in front yards all over town.  You might even want to host one yourself.  But before you head out or staple that first sign to a telephone pole, you need a game plan.  And part of that game plan should be knowing your competitors and potential customers.  These are the shoppers who might snag ...'

15 comments:

  1. Linda,
    I appreciated Holley Gerth's honest post so much about counseling....and I like blog bling :) Blessings to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Thanks for sharing the Time post...#17 is one I'm learning is key :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes ... the fine art of saying 'no, thanks' with grace and kindness and sanity! And making it our goal to please Him instead of trying to placate everybody and his brother.

      ;-}

      Delete
  3. It's always a joy to drop in over here :)
    I LOVED Holley's honest post about going to counseling. And I love blog bling too:) it's an easy way to do multiple link ups and not post everyday.

    Have a blessed week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your joyfully kind words made my day, Alecia!

      ;-}

      Delete
  4. I love the list! I definitely have to read the blog bling one, though I only link up to Emily's site. Now you know what I'll be doing after my boys go to sleep tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I hope this was good bedtime reading, Yuko!

      Delete
  5. Great list, especially the one about the husbands' headache.

    I think that stereotype has caused a lot of damage within marriages, when a blanket assumption is made about a husband's motives.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2014/05/love-story.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure, stereotypes and assumptions do little to build any kind of relationship!

      Delete
  6. Mike and I were just talking about our counseling session over breakfast yesterday. He said he resisted going for so long because he thought we were so strong we could eventually power thru it. He realized later that we did have a strong marriage, we just had too many things piled on at once that anybody would be pulled under. He now knows a strong couple asks for help when they've reached a roadblock. Counseling is no longer a stigma for him and that's a much needed relief for me!! It also showed me that even when I think I'm in the right, there's still work for me to do too!! High-five for our amazing counselors, Linda & Bob!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That you would take the time to share where you guys are is such an encouragment to us, Val, as we often don't hear from clients once they've finished counseling. I've read that 5 years down the road, an overwhelming number of couples who hang on through the tough times are likely to say that their marriage is a good one.

      I praise God for how He is blessing you. Truly.

      Delete
  7. Hi Linda! What encouragement to other bloggers here. I love it! And I do enjoy meeting other writers, so I'll be sure to drop in on a few of them.
    I hope I'm getting more humor in my life...I need it!!
    Hope your weekend is wonderful! I just bought a bunch of flowers for planting, so digging in the dirt is in my future :)
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you just plain radiate joy, my friend! Digging in the dirt sure brings everything into a right perspective!

      I hope your weekend is filled with rest and peace ...

      Delete
  8. Linda--did you write 17 different ways? It exemplifies your personality!!!

    Shine on, beautiful friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't you love to live like that, day in and day out? Only by His grace ...

      ;-}

      Delete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...