Tuesday, April 1, 2014

In Which 60 is the New 30

I've always loved my birthdays.  {Although you'd never know it by this photo.  And am I really holding a potato in that cup?}  Until I hit 58 last summer.  I couldn't quite grasp why this particular year wasn't sitting right with me.  Until I realized that it made the big six-oh quite close.  Way too close for comfort. 

Images of my sainted grandmother 'just marking time' in her rocking chair by the dining room window played in my head.  Gray hair and orthopedic shoes, endless physical maladies and Lawrence Welk on TV flashed through my mind.  Downright unsettling it all was.

I've gotten over the shock and have moved on.  As I recently said to a few of my 60+ friends, I truly believe that 60 is the new 30.

I watch these women live their lives with energy.  Sure they're sometimes weary by the end of the day.  Who isn't?  But life's tragic sorrows, the grief of divorce, the ravages of cancer, death that's come to call far too soon, and jobs that make them crazy don't knock them out of the game.  They open the doors of their homes wide, they're envisioning new ministries, they're walking and biking and at the gym at o-dark thirty.

They eat well, they're fabulous cooks, read voraciously, and love going deep in conversations about spiritual things.  And although we have shed tears together and talked on more than one occasion about retirement issues, they laugh easily and often.  In the process of living life, their faith has emerged rock solid even though ferocious winds of heartbreak could have knocked them flat and left them lying in the dust.  Refined like precious gold, they are.  And that reality has enabled them to rise from the ashes, wiser for the deep pain they have endured.

Sixty's not looking too bad any more.  And it's these sisters that pioneer the way for me and give me confidence that when I step over into that next season, I too, can do life well.

By His grace.  And their examples ...

 

Don't want to miss a post?  Be sure to subscribe right here before you leave!

*   doing life with Kristen   *  Judith  *  Holley  *  Lyli  *  Susan & Janice

22 comments:

  1. We have many vibrant, outrageous, amazing 80+ years young volunteers at our library. These ladies inspire me everyday. They jokingly tell me their secret for living so long is "not dying" but I know it's their positive attitude, circle of friends, curiosity for learning and love of life that keeps them going. They love life to the fullest. I can't wait to be just like them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Vibrant, outrageous, amazing'? That's who I want to be ... NOW!

      Thanks for kicking off this conversation tonight, Val ...

      :-}

      Delete
  2. At 64 last summer, I hiked the 13,000+ passes in Colorado. Do not mentally feel a bit older and still love an adventure. My body occasionally complains, but that is why God had them make Alleve! Do NOT sweat it, Friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh WOW! You go, girl! And here I was applauding myself for trotting 2 miles to and from the post office this afternoon.

      I am so impressed with your adventurous spirit, dear Lulu!

      ;-}

      Delete
  3. I just adore this message because I so believe in celebrating birthdays and so yes to this... "Refined like precious gold, they are." I think of my aunt who is now in her 80's and oh my...she just has a beautiful spirit. A beautiful encouraging post. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since we're talking about the 80 year olds tonight ... well, maybe 80 will be the new 50?

      ;-}

      Who'd like to write that post?!!!

      Delete
  4. What a cute little girl ;) I'm so glad you have such Godly examples in your life, Linda! Growing old with grace is a blessing indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know ... I think I look a little dopey there, like maybe I have a fever? Or maybe that gazed look has something to do with that potato in the yellow cup?

      ;-}

      Thanks for wandering around with us a bit this morning, my friend. I so appreciate that you are here. Truly!

      Delete
  5. Linda,
    Such an adorable photo of you...and thank you for inspiring me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're sweet! Iron sharpens iron, yes?

      I hope it's a gorgeous springtime day there!

      ;-}

      Delete
  6. Love this!! Such an inspiration you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kind words are such an encouragement to me this evening, Jennifer. Thank you so much!

      ;-}

      Delete
  7. This encourages me, Linda. I'll be 52 in November, and age has never been anything to me more than a number--until I hit 50. Then I suddenly felt like I must sound "so old" when I'd tell people my age. But it's still just a number, and like you said, there are MANY wonderful things to do--some even better--when we're older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're not getting older, honey ... we're getting BETTER!

      ;-}

      And we're in very good company ...

      Delete
  8. I'm with you! My dad will be 89 next month. He is in great health and drives his little red mustang convertible around Fort Myers, Florida. He's my inspiration. My prayer is to LIVE every day God gives me . . . counting blessings and lifting praise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that he's driving a red mustang convertible! Just too cool! My 86 year old dad will really enjoy hearing about your dad's wheels ... yet I'm pretty sure he'll continue to mosey through town in his very conservative four door.

      Thanks for coming by, Deb!

      Delete
  9. Hi Linda,
    I'm almost 63 and I also felt 60 was a huge marker year, but so glad to have reached it. Hopefully, what we lose in energy, we gain in wisdom.
    Surely it's a cookie in your cup in the photo : )
    I'm visiting from UBP and glad to meet you officially although I've visited your blog before.
    Read your post "Plain and Simple" (with the shoes) and I liked it--plain, simple, profound!
    God bless,
    Gail (1-Minute Bible Love Notes)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just gotta be a cookie! But it sure does look like a spud. No wonder I've got that dazed look going on!

      I'm glad you stopped by, Gail ... it's good to meet you yet again. Have a restful sabbath.

      Delete
  10. You're a dear....at any age! I'm 55 and working at leaving a legacy, good memories, and lots of love behind for my girls to remember years from now. Each day is certainly a gift, and Jesus walks the road beside us. Love you, all 60 years of you!!! You are beautiful and your writings are a treasure to our souls.
    Blessings on your new website and blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Susan! Building a legacy starts far before our hair turns gray! Have fun building those good memories, those loving moments with your family ...

      And yes, praise God that He walks with us every step of the way!

      I love that you're here ...

      Delete
  11. The righteous woman will flourish like the palm tree,
    He will grow like a cedar in Lebanon.
    Planted in the house of the Lord,
    They will flourish in the courts of our God.
    They will still yield fruit in old age;
    They shall be full of sap and very green,
    To declare that the Lord is upright;
    He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him.
    from Psalm 92

    AMEN and AMEN! You go, girl...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes. My prayer is that my life will still yield fruit for Him in this next season ... even if I'm not quite sure yet what that might look like.

      Don't you love that He knows what lies ahead?! Sure does take the pressure off ...

      ;-}

      Delete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...