Monday, March 3, 2014

Gleanings : : Too Busy . Fun Dates . Anxiety Zingers . Craving Belonging . Baby Zion

See that snow flying through the air, departing from view? 
 
I'm saying farewell to winter. 
 
No matter what the weatherman says.
 
You'll see no more winter photos here. 
 
Promise.
 
 


6 Solutions for the Chronically Busy - {exhausted or what?}
'If you are always behind, running late, worn down and tired out, chances are you are chronically busy.  You might also be chronically busy if ...
  • you answer the question “How are you?” with “crazy-busy”, “so busy”, or “great but really busy”.
  • most people start a conversation with you like this, “I know you are busy but …”'


Date Ideas for Every Season and Every Budget - {for when you're bored with the same old same old}
'While working on a Valentine’s Day gift for my husband ... I was reminded of how challenging it can be to come up with unique date ideas.  Fortunately, a little brainstorming and a quick internet search yielded numerous ideas that span far beyond the stereotypical dinner and a movie.  In fact, I quickly identified ...'



7 Things You Shouldn't Say to Someone with Anxiety - {enough already with ignorant comments, please}
'Iyou’ve ever suffered from severe anxiety, you’re probably overly familiar with the control it can have over your life.   And you’re not alone -- it affects approximately 40 million adult Americans per year.  Anxiety and panic disorders can cause ceaseless feelings of fear and uncertainty -- and with that suffering often comes comments that are more hurtful than helpful ...'



A Prayer: Belong - {we all want to be included.  period.}
'For those of us who have been told that we are too much—too loud, too opinionated, too smart, too bold, too quiet, too curvy, too skinny, too sexual, too intense, too feeling, too soft, too tough, too bossy, too tender, too young, too old, too liberal, too conservative—may we say: you belong here with us.   May we be the women who make room for ...'



Zion Isaiah Blick  -  {and this, oh this}



9 comments:

  1. Hi Linda! Thank you for all these wonderful links! I really like discovering new bloggers, so this is perfect. You are such an encourager my friend :)

    I hope you had a good weekend, and weren't too 'crazy busy' yourself!
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been nesting. Walking very snowy beaches. Celebrating my mama's 84th birthday with assorted family. Hanging out with one daughter, one son-in-law, and two active pre-schoolers. And my man.

      ;-}

      Delete
  2. The "things you shouldn't say to people with anxiety" has a parallel in things you shouldn't say to people with PTSD.

    I've found that a lot of people want to buy into PTSD through comparison..."Oh, I went through..."

    Do they think it's COOL?

    I used to respond rather forcefully, and scatalogically ("You don't know s#@*!"). Now, if they press, I tell them that they mus understand how it feels to bury a friend.

    That is, the pieces you can find.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-tolerable-marriage.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is ignorance, uncomfortableness, foolishness, the need to say SOMETHING that prompts us to speak much too quickly. And oh, the damage done.

      I have found this to be true with believers who lob Scripture at wounds that are already open and raw. Sadly, sadly, the Word of God becomes a weapon in times of great distress rather than a healing balm.

      Thanks for your insight today, Andrew. I especially appreciate hearing from people who have been there, done that.

      Delete
    2. Linda, you're absolutely right about the motivation, and the need to say something, anything.

      One additional motivator I'd like to posit is fear - fear that one would be vulnerable to that wound.

      And yes, use of Scripture can be terribly counterproductive. At the moment I'm dealing with a serious, and likely fatal illness (more pain that I could have imagined, worse than being shot). I've been given a lot of Scripture which hasn't helped, and one bit which has -

      "Jesus wept."

      Taken in context, it's one of the most convincing arguments that God Himself really, really cares about us, and that what happens to us affects Him deeply.

      For me, and I suspect for others, quoting individual passages is not much help. I had a classical education, and could quote Tacitus and Marcus Aurelius at length, and tag lines were a party trick. Scriptural tag lines aren't very helpful.

      Parables, and a retelling of the stories of the Bible, ARE helpful. They show engagement and real concern, rather than a Scriptural Band-Aid approach. (I'll agree that the motives are the best - it's just the execution that's wanting.)

      Delete
    3. I so appreciate passages like Isaiah 53, for they show us that Christ was human and suffered greatly. This allows Him to truly get what we are going through ... He, the Wounded Healer, walks with us through our pain and ministers to us in ways that no human can.

      Delete
    4. Yes. Isaiah 53, definitely.

      Delete
  3. You had me laughing over the no more snow pictures. I'm joining you in saying farewell to winter!! I especially enjoyed your prayer on belonging. Thanks, friend. And THANK YOU for all your love and encouraging comments my place. You have been such a blessing to me. So grateful for you.
    Much love,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely! Yes, ENOUGH ALREADY with the snow, Beth! And yes, Sarah Bessey's prayer was a powerful one, something all us sisters in Christ need to be praying for and with each other. Profound.

    I hope your week is picking up, that joy is springing up from somewhere deep despite the circumstances ...

    Blessings today, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

What's a conversation without YOUR input? I'd love to hear your heart ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...