Wednesday, March 19, 2014

3 Steps Further

So where do we go after The Simplicity Series?  Once we start cleaning out and organizing our physical spaces, it's only natural that our minds and our hearts will begin yearning for the same breath of freedom.  Like a plate of spaghetti, every area of our lives is beautifully intertwined in ways that are quite complex.  Try as we might, we just can't separate the physical, mental, and spiritual aspects of who we are.  It's impossible. 

That's how our Grand Designer shaped us.

What I know to be true is this: Chaotic physical spaces often reflect an inner chaos of mind and heart. 

And an inner chaos of mind and heart often plays out in chaotic physical spaces.

So ... what practical responses to this truth can we embrace?

Your Physical Space
Throw open the windows and air the house out.  All those throws and quilts and pillows?  Store or toss anything that doesn't whisper 'spring has sprung.'  Farewell to those tired dried wreaths and plants gasping for their final breath.  Things to say goodbye to include stacks of newspapers, piles of magazines that you have no interest in, overdue library books, expired coupons, the pine scented candles, and other stuff that's seen its day.

And ... the cascade of junk mail on the table, endless dust collectors/collectibles, the long forgotten basket of Christmas cards, the piles of clothes waiting to be mended or washed or shared, overflowing bags of recyclables, and the odd assortment of toys, shoes, boots, and miscellaneous equipment that desperately need to find a home.

Take 15 will help you take care of business, step by step.  Is today the day?
 
Your Brain Space
Too much information and too many screens and far too much time online.  Brain clutter swirling around, begging for focused attention that will never happen because we're way too absorbed with Facebook.  Twitter.  Instagram.  Pinterest.  Email.  And a huge myriad of games and blogs and other time stealers.  Truth be told, we've friended and followed way too many people and been drawn in by pasttimes that keep us checked out from those who're sitting three feet away.

What better time than now to figure out what you truly want to focus on, and say good-bye to time spent absorbed in online activities and people whose season is long past.

Here's 6 choices you can make.  Is today the day?
 
Your Heart Space
Resentments, unfinished business, bitterness, jealousy.  Painful wounds that still fester because they haven't been tended to.  People who should have been forgiven long ago.  This heavy load does nothing but sap way too much energy from our lives, coloring our souls with a great sadness, oft' tinged with anxiety or depression.  What do you need to do to let all of this go?

Write it off.  Whether they deserve it or not.  Is today the day?
 
I don't know about you, but I'm determined to wrap up some long unattended business.  I'm flinging open windows right and left, breathing deep, and embracing that hope-filled future that God longs for us to experience.  You, too?
 




 
* adapted from the post one year ago!
 
*  visiting with Holley  .  Beth  .  Lyli  .  Kristen

16 comments:

  1. I'm coming back to read this in a bit but coming here quickly to say, I LOVE YOU! You have been such an encouragement to me. I'm so very grateful for your friendship. THANK YOU. {Hugs}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're such a sweetheart. Thank you for blessing me with your kind words on this gray morning. We do the 'iron sharpening iron' thing, don't we, Beth. And in the end, that's what Christ-honoring blogging's all about, yes?

      ;-}

      Delete
    2. Finally back to read your post. Would the Christmas wreath still hanging on my front door be something I should part ways with? LOL. I look at it every morning as I drive away and go, 'Oh, yes, I really need to take you down."
      This included such great advice...so much of it that I really need to take. I don't keep alot of extra stuff in our home because we have no space to store but my brain and heart could use some cleaning up.
      Thank you sweet friend. Love you.

      Delete
    3. Yeah ... I guess it's time to say good-bye to those Christmas wreaths and the outdoor lights, too ... once we can chip the ice off them!

      Thanks for checking in throughout this series, Beth. It was fun, wasn't it ...

      ;-}

      Delete
  2. "Store or toss anything that doesn't whisper 'spring has sprung.'"
    This the one that is speaking the loudest to me. I'll do a look through my house (and computer???) this week and apply this. Thanks, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking out these windows today, it's hard to even imagine that spring might be springing any time in the near future! But my calendar tells me it is so. And I just have to believe that sooner or later the weather will follow.

      Yay!

      Delete
  3. There's one aspect of chaos that drove my wife crazy until she understood where it came from -

    I was never consistent in either my routines, or in timing. While I wouldn't be late, I'd never arrive at a destination at a predictable time, nor would I follow the same route.

    It took some effort to explain that in a previous profession, predictability meant death, and it was something I never quite excised from my consciousness. I'm extremely uneasy with routine, to this day, and it's perhaps a blessing that I'm too ill to go out with my wife much anymore.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2014/03/when-your-mate-loses-faith.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing why we respond the way we do is a fabulous first step. And then ... what do we do with what we know to be true of ourselves? How can I best honor Christ, my spouse, and others right smack dab in the midst of my reality?.

      I'm glad you're here, Andrew. You surely add to the conversation ...

      Delete
  4. Forgiveness frees us. Thank you my friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes. It's time to lay those burdens down so we can be free to be all God's designed us to be ...

      Delete
  5. What excellent ideas. The "Brain Space" especially resonates. It's wonderful to put the cell phone down and have quality time with those you love. At a recent dinner with my wife I put my phone into "airplane mode" so that she'd know I wanted to limit distractions and focus on what's important...HER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People sometimes have a hard time 'cause I don't keep my cell phone on 24/7. You've captured precisely why, Jonathan. Thanks for saying it well!

      ;-}

      Delete
  6. Purposefully looking at what I spend my time looking at on this screen. Looking to limit it to that which speaks to my soul and heart.
    I woke up this morning also thinking about forgiveness. Planning to write about---does forgiving also entail forgetting? First I have to let the Spirit speak.
    It is Spring here in TX--cool, crisp---everything budding out---green beginning to peep out of the brown---Life from death.
    Spring Blessings to You Today, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we can will ourselves to forget. And in remembering, wisdom can emerge and we learn lessons that might keep us from getting in similar situations in the future. But there is a release in forgiveness, a letting go, a prayer that God will bless that person. We no longer are judge and jury, we no longer bear the heavy load.

      It's a place of freedom.

      Delete
  7. I've worked hard on the physical space and you know, Linda, how hard I'm working on the heart space. So, when I read today's entry and got to the brain space paragraph, I just burst out crying at work. I was immediately convicted. I've known this is an area I needed more work on but it got pushed aside. I've been wondering what the cause of my discontent and aggravation was and it slammed me right between the eyes today. Time to set some limits and boundaries! Thank you for the gentle (maybe not so gentle for me) reminder!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tears of conviction ... and maybe tears of relief and the hope of freedom? One of those 'ah- ha, that's IT' moments. Yes, and amen, Val.

      This is a huge issue for many of us. Trust me, you are not alone. We just don't want to talk about / deal with this obsession that's gaining more of a grip on our weary souls.

      Praying for you right now.

      Delete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...