Monday, January 27, 2014

In Praise of 'Clutterfree with Kids'

'We live in a world that loves accumulating possessions.   And while nobody would ever admit they are trying to purchase happiness, most people live like they are.'   

When it comes to the pursuit of a simpler lifestyle, there's no better blog out there than Joshua Becker's.  When a new Becoming Minimalist post pops into my reader, I scoot right on over to his site.  There's always something rich and substantial to savor ... and practical ideas to grab hold of.

Clutterfree with Kids: Change Your Thinking / Discover New Habits / Free Your Home launches today and I'm been privileged to read this meaningful book in advance.  And it does not disappoint.  If you're more than disillusioned with the myriad of possessions and frenetic lifestyle that threatens to overwhelm your house, your family, and your soul, this little treasure's for you.

This easy yet memorable read invites you to begin simplifying your life in ways that work for you and your family.  Basic hands-on tips on reducing clutter and simple searching questions that hit deep invite you to release your family from the tyranny of the incessant collection of material things.

I love that Josh tackles the issue of our kids' overstuffed schedules as well as their filled to overflowing spaces.  And the practical approach to handling the ever growing pile of artwork, collections, and our own sensitive area of sentimental remembrances is really spot on.

Freedom from the passion to possess.  So you can focus on what really matters.  Because when all is said and done, 'there is more joy to be found in owning less than can ever be found in organizing more.' 

AND FOR 1 WEEK ONLY ...
 
the Kindle version is $2.99.  This you can't pass up! 
 
  
+ sharing this super resource with Kristen

12 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a book! I see so many parents running around trying to keep up with their children's schedules and the entire family suffers as a result. I don't think it occurs to them (in the midst of chaos) that they have a choice. The same can be said for the items that accumulate over time. Good for Joshua for writing such a great book to help parents taken control! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we're not modeling a clutter-free life, our kids won't see that it's possible, desirable, and sane! Love that Josh has penned this. And love that you've dropped in this morning, Kim.

      Thanks for your input. I think this is a subject that just begs for attention.

      Delete
  2. Moving a couple times was what it took for me to declutter my home. :) It's been a few years now since I've moved, so clutter does reaccumulate, but I feel so much freer in open space so that also motivates me. But you're right that clutter isn't only stuff--it can also be schedules and other things. Sounds like a great book to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hearing you, Lisa! Nothing like some kind of move to make us realize how little we truly need. As the old saying goes, when was the last time you saw a hearse pulling a U-Haul trailer?

      Ain't that the truth ...

      ;-}

      Delete
  3. Oooh! Good to know - about the Kindle deal, Linda! I'm slightly familiar with Becoming Minimalist, but with your glowing endorsement, I'm going to have to visit there more often. Thanks for sharing and being my sweet prayer warrior!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet deals like this pull me closer to caving in and getting a Kindle! I've been trying to stay away from yet another screen. And I do like the feel of a book in my hand ...

      Healing blessings to you today, my friend ...

      Delete
  4. Hi Linda! I wish this book was available when my husband was growing up. I don't know where he gets it, but he has 'hoarder' tendencies. Drives me nuts! Not that I am a huge minimalist, but I don't mind recycling or pitching things we just don't need.

    We need people like Josh! Sing it brother!!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear your frustration, Ceil! All that excess stuff/junk/clutter/accumulation can be a real drag, literally. So draining to look at and live with. And overwhelmingly immobilizing to think about sorting through after it builds up over time.

      Would love to hear you write about this some time ... you always come up with a Godly perspective on real life situations!

      Delete
  5. I'm still in the process of reading the book (20% through on Kindle), but I loved some of his thoughts about "gifts" that parents can give their children. His point about giving affirmation and instilling contentment were great. I especially liked the point where he said "Children need to learn everything from the ground up including appropriate behaviors, how to get along with others, how to get results, and how to achieve their dreams" (Page 35). What an excellent point about the privilege that parents have to teach their children. No amount of or lack of possessions will prohibit or encourage these "gifts". Parents can be intentional about them. Excellent recommendation based on what I've read so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you grabbed this resource, Jonathan ... and OF COURSE you know that I value your opinion! Thanks for taking the time to give us a review. I so appreciate it ...

      ;-}

      Delete
    2. As I near the end of the book, I really enjoyed his quote to adopt "a traveler's mentality. When we travel, we take only what we need for the journey. As a result, we feel lighter, freer, more flexible. Adopting a traveler's mindset for life provides the same benefit - not just for a weeklong vacation, but in everything we do. Adopt a mindset that seeks to carry only what you need for the journey". What a great summation of the mindset he has for his family.

      Section 2 (which I had read before my previous post) was chock full of great practical tips on everything from photography to toys to traveling. I enjoyed it, and found it wonderfully beneficial even without kids!

      Delete
    3. Super insight! And if we sing 'this world is not my home, I'm just passing through,' then this truly is a philosophy, a lifestyle we can embrace with real soul passion because of our faith in Christ.

      And Jonathan, I love that you jumped right into the truths of this book, even though you're not a daddy. That says much about you.

      ;-}

      I'm glad you're here!

      Delete

So ... whatcha thinkin', friend?

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...