Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Ricocheting from Elation to Anguish


The odd dichotomy of it all has hit me in the last few days, right in the midst of the busiest week this blog has ever seen.  On one hand, we're casually chit-chatting back and forth about the simple delights of our homes at Christmastime.  On the other, we're gently sitting together with the grief and sorrow that seem to descend in torrents for those who are nowhere near celebrating this season.

And I think that this ricocheting from happy-clappy to soul-distress is not at all strange to most of us.  For who among us hasn't gone from gut-deep laughter to torrents of tears in no time flat?

Nowhere is this more accurately reflected than in all that is happening in the lives of those closest to me - family, friends, clients - even as I write.  I think it's fair to say that life has been more than difficult in recent months.  Downright disappointing and uncertain, terrifying and life altering.  Words can be so nebulous and they just don't hold a candle to the depth of physical, emotional, and spiritual despair that has descended like a cloud over these I care so deeply for. 

But there have been radiant sparkles along the way, unexpected joys, sweet glimpses of the majesty of the glory of Christ, the warmth of the Spirit's presence.  That steadfast hope we profess keeps on providing a rock solid anchor, secure in the midst of the storms that could so easily overwhelm.

For you, too?

When all is said and done, all we can do is be as authentic with each other as we can be as we share life together, whether conversing or writing, weeping or praying.  Whether from the lowest pit.  Or the mountaintop peak.  And trust that our Redeemer will be gracious enough to give us an extra helping of His grace-laden presence in whatever ways we need.

And please, God.  One or two souls to walk with us as we traverse those agonizing depths.  Or rejoice in the glory of the heights.





> Conversing at Emily's  &  Lyli's

10 comments:

  1. Beautifully observed, said, and illustrated, Linda. This is authenticity woven with love. Thank you.

    You reminded me once not to overlook the joy on the other side of the pain. "Is any among you afflicted? let him pray," I read out from James 5:13. You were quick to add the verse's second half: "Is any merry? let him sing psalms." When we pray and confess together (v. 16) -- in trust and authenticity -- we bring both sides to the table.

    Thanks for helping me walk toward His "steadfast hope" in the middle of the dark.

    Hopeful,
    GH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Authentically woven with love.' Yes! That's who we want to be, that's how we want to communicate, that's how we want to embrace life in all its ups and downs.

      So well said, today, GH. As always ...

      Delete
  2. "When all is said and done, all we can do is be as authentic with each other as we can be as we share life together, whether conversing or writing, weeping or praying."

    Amen and amen to that, Linda. I made myself a note months ago that says "Just SHOW UP. Be AUTHENTIC. Connect w/compassion," and I read it every day. I think it's that important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'd say showing up's a good start!!! And yes, a million times over to compassion, borne from hearts who've been wounded along the way.

      Thanks, Lisa, for dropping in today ... one week before the King's birthday party!

      Delete
  3. Hi Linda! My goodness, it does sound like it's been a roller coaster ride for you in the last few weeks. I find that to be true even in my prayer life. On one hand, I'm so grateful. On the other hand, the needs I have, and the needs of family and friends, weighs heavily.

    I like your line about being authentic. What else should we be? God made us the way he did because we are just enough for the people who will share with us, whether good stuff or bad stuff. If we don't help in the way that we can, we will have failed him, but also the person sitting in front of us.

    I know you have such a beautiful and sensitive heart. That's why your site is so busy. People find a home here with you. And you extend that to your work too. God bless you, and I will be praying for your strength in this topsy-turvy time. God knows what a blessing you are, and I hope you do too.

    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To cultivate a grateful spirit, even when under the pile ... now THAT'S the goal! There is so much value in counting our blessings, in singing praises, in continuing to do the good work God has placed in our hearts to do!

      And if people are finding a home here with us, well, all I can do is praise God some more! To offer a safe place, an encouraging word online? Sheer delight! But that YOU already know because you live that out yourself, my friend!

      ;-}

      Delete
  4. Linda, this post is right where I am at. Thanks for encouraging me to "cultivate a grateful spirit, even when under the pile." :)

    I'm so glad you linked up at Thought-Provoking Thursday this week... I am sure I am not the only one who needs a little encouragement in the valley. If only trials took a week of for Christmas... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, Lyli ... 'if only trials took a week off for Christmas'! No wonder we need a Savior, a Comforter, a Redeemer!

      Praying that you'll feel the encouragement of His Spirit during these final days of preparation.

      Delete
  5. Hee hee --- great minds do think alike! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love our little red trikes, don't we! I scooped up ours for a couple of bucks at an auction up in New Hampshire a few summers ago. Just too fun!

      ;-}

      Delete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...