Monday, October 7, 2013

People 101 : : Day 7 : : Wounded Healers


An unsolicited email exchange . . .

SHE:
God gave me this while I was sleeping last night.  I wanted to share it with you!!

ME:
I'm in awe at the miracle of your journey.  To say that God is good is an understatement!  Would you like me to share this anonymously on the blog sometime in the next few weeks?

SHE: 
Of course!!  I'm so ready to help others who are in distress!!

~     ~     ~     ~     ~

I was on the edge of bankruptcy,
God brought work circumstances and people to get us thru.

I was on the edge of losing a child to mental illness,
God healed her and now she is teaching those with disabilities.

I was on the edge of losing a premature child,
God gave me a rainbow while he was in NICU to show me everything would be alright. 
Now he is shining God's light wherever he goes.

I was on the edge of abortion,
God gave me an amazing child who bound our family together.

I was on the edge of divorce,
God brought us to wonderful counselors who helped us work hard and begin to heal.

I was on the edge of despair,
God showed me all the blessings in my life and what He has done for me and my family.
 
~     ~     ~     ~     ~
 
These heartfelt words, penned in the dead of night, declare the power of God's grace, His mighty intervention through seemingly endless trials.  This wounded sojourner has morphed, by His compassionate power, into a wounded healer.  This isn't the first time she's shared the miracles she's received along the way, and I was delighted that she wants to continue writing her redemption story.
 
Don't you love that God is able to redeem our heartaches and use them to speak grace and hope to other weary travelers? 

Maybe Henri Nouwen said it best when he wrote, "Nobody escapes being wounded.  We are all wounded people, whether physically, emotionally, mentally, or spiritually.  The main question is not, 'How can we hide our wounds?' so we don't have to be embarrassed, but 'How can we put our woundedness in the service of others?'  When our wounds cease to be a source of shame, and become a source of healing, we have become wounded healers.

Jesus is God's wounded healer: through his wounds we are healed.  Jesus' suffering and death brought joy and life.  His humiliation brought glory; his rejection brought a community of love.  As followers of Jesus we can also allow our wounds to bring healing to others." 




 
 
~     ~     ~     ~     ~

The Multiple Book Giveaways! 
Each comment you leave this month puts you in the running for one of the books we'll be sharing with our readers on October 31st {9pm eastern, US and Canada only.}  We'll post the list of winners at that time and then it will be 'first come, first choice' for these readers to claim their prizes!  Limit 1 comment/day, please!



32 comments:

  1. Dear Linda
    Oh, I agree with Henri Nouwen and want to go as far as to say that being a Christian guarantees a whole new bunch of suffering, Without being refined is this furnace, our faith just don't grow. Oh, I have seen how our Pappa has turned everything in my life also just for good and His glory.
    Blessings XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure, Mia. Along the way, some of us thought that the Christian life would be a bed of roses, happiness would be our byword, and the sun would shine each and every day. We only have to look at the suffering of Jesus and His followers to realize what a lie we've been handed.

      Thanks for your visit ... always anticipated, always appreciated!

      ;-}

      Delete
    2. Wonderful post, Linda! I love your client's words and am grateful to you for sharing them. Also, Nouwen's thoughts are truly inspiring.

      Thanks for teaching me about the "wounded healer," especially the One Who leads the way.

      And Mia: your joy is mine, too. I remember the dark days when I finally faced my fear of seeking medical treatment for depression: "What was meant for my harm, God intends for good!" Those words, drawn from Joseph's in Gen. 50:20, so filled my heart then. They still do.

      God bless you!

      Delete
    3. When we can share sprinklings of joy with each other in the sorrow-laden times, this is restoration ...

      Delete
  2. There have been a few times in the past where things got so bad, I really questioned if God knew what he was doing. Lo and behold, he does!! And the beautiful things that have come after the pain and struggles are that much more beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Rabia! In my own season of illness and brokenness, I begged Him to redeem my suffering {Joel 2:23-26}. And oh my, He's done that a thousand times over. After all, He's in the redemption business. That's who He is, that's what He does!

      Delete
  3. Such beautiful, beautiful words, from Nouwen and your friend and you. God is so good not to waste our wounds. Only he can make something from our pain. Thanks for sharing these, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Henri and our courageous writer make a fine team today! I love Nouwen's words ... they so often speak deep into my soul, and my faith is stretched, I reach higher toward our Savior.

      I love when you drop by, Lisa!

      ;-}

      Delete
  4. We were called to "fill up the sufferings of Christ," so it is no surprise when we encounter adverse circumstances, ill health or a wounded heart. We just need to enter the rest of God and find His healing power to give us grace to go on in faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And in that ongoing choice lies some of the hugest challenges we'll face in this life ...

      Delete
  5. It has taken me the past few years to really embrace my story with all its wounds, but I am seeing the healing it is doing for others. Thank you for such an encouraging post!! Praise to the courageous woman sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Dionne. We usually don't think about embracing our pain or sharing our stories when we're right smack dab in the middle, just trying to survive. But after the eye of the storm has passed by ...

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful testimony to God's provision...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Madge, yes. Now ... to have the courage to share those testimonies with others who need that hope only we can provide. Because we've been there, done that ...

      Delete
  7. The Wounded Healer is a favorite. Lovely, encouraging words, Linda. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, Nouwen's words are hope-laden. Thank you, Laura ...

      Delete
  8. I just LOVE this. I found you via Wedded Wednesday! :) Thank you SO much for sharing & a sweet thank you to this precious lady who has endured so much and so graciously turned her deep wounds into healing words. -Lilah @ Just a Sparrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Lilah! Yes, I admire the author of these most compelling, courageous words. She put herself out there, and judging by our readers' responses, she has surely made a difference here this week. And for that, and her, I am deeply thankful!

      Delete
  9. "Don't you love that God is able to redeem our heartaches and use them to speak grace and hope to other weary travelers." I love and agree with this sentence! When we trust Him enough He can bring beauty from ashes in our lives and the lives of others. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And more beauty from the piles of ashes in our lives we so desperately need ... thanks for coming by and adding to the conversation, Nancy!

      Delete
  10. Thank you for sharing at TM this week Linda! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always fun to drop by and see through your spectacular camera lens, Nance!

      ;-}

      Delete
  11. And it takes a very secure person (in their God) to admit these wounds. I see that security in you, Linda and I love it! Thanks for this inspiring reminder that we all have weaknesses and wounds but thankfully we also have a Great Redeemer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Beth ... and His loving power is so much greater than all the brokenness that has filled our lives ...

      Delete
  12. What a great word of encouragement Linda, reading her words just lifted my spirits :) I loved the words by Henri - it's not about hiding but healing so we can be useful. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ngina, our spirits are lifted, our perspectives are recalibrated, and we see what's important and what we can let go ...

      Delete
  13. THank you for sharing these wonderful expressions of hope in God. It also reminds me of II Corinthians 1 where it says we will comfort others with the comfort we ourselves have received of God.
    Thank you for the comfort of God that you are sharing this morning.
    Bless you,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you love those verses, Susan?! All our pain, all our sorrows, all our stuff can be redeemed. Praise God!

      ;-}

      Delete
  14. this made me want to stand up and cheer! this is just wonderful, powerful! all the darkness is a prequel to Light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm cheering with you, Rachel. I am cheering with you!

      Delete
  15. The quote by Henri Nouwen - and your comments about our woundedness becoming a blessing for others...this meets me right where I am right now. I have seen it happen in some areas, but still in the "messy middle" of others wondering what is the point and wondering if it really all matters. I know it does and this was just what I needed. visiting your blog from The Sunday community (I think!) and poked around, saw this and landed here. I ca't aeven figure out how i got this far back. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May you find His gently strong healing touch right smack dab in the messy middle, Carol. And know, without a doubt, that His desire is to redeem the wounded places in your soul ...

      I'm so glad you followed the links that got you to this place! And I know for sure that the client who shared her journey will be thrilled when she discovers that her story encouraged you 1/2 a year later.

      ;-}

      Delete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...