Monday, October 28, 2013

People 101 : : Day 28 : : Dear, Captivating Legacy-Leaver

It's been one year since my friend Kristen died.  She penned the letter below to be read at her memorial service, but my grief was so raw and all-encompassing that I remember little of that day.  As with anything she touched, her final words are all about living with deep love and strong purpose, dying with an immensely thoughtful grace, and her clearly focused determination to leave a life-changing legacy. 
 
Back in 2007, I said 'yes' to her compelling invitation to join her in creating support groups for parents who had a life-threatening illness and their spouses.  And that 'yes' changed my life.  Radically.
 
If you knew Kristen, you absolutely adored her.  Pure and simple.  And when you read her heart-rending words and watch this tribute, there's no doubt in my heart that you will feel the same.
 
I love you, sweet friend ...
 
 



Dear loved ones,

As I write this I admit feeling a little sad.  Sad because my greatest earthly desire was to grow old with Deric … 17 years of marriage was not nearly long enough.  Sad because it is a mother’s job to be there to comfort her child when that child experiences her first broken heart, or when he sits on the bench during a much anticipated game.  Sad because my heart hurts to think I will not be there to share in my children’s joys and inevitable accomplishments, their weddings, or for the births of their own children.  Sad to leave ... finish reading
 
 
~     ~     ~     ~     ~
 
The Multiple Giveaways!
Each comment you leave this month puts you in the running for one of the gifts we'll be sharing with our readers on October 31st {9 pm eastern, US and Canada only.}  We'll post the list of winners at that time and then it will be 'first come, first choice' for these readers to claim their prizes!  Limit 1 comment/day, please!
 
 
 
 
The Nester's 31 Days Gang

Sharing Inheritance of Hope with Laura & Emily

20 comments:

  1. I just tweeted your article. May God bless Kristen's family and friends and give her rest for being a beacon of hope to so many others. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tweet, tweet! Thanks, Kim, for sharing Kristen's life and IoH with the people in your world. Sadly, the need for this ministry only grows ...

      Thanks for taking the time to comment, to tweet, to show you care!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting this. Her legacy is amazing and will be used to bring so many people to Him. Her request for on-going prayer for her family is a reminder of all the spouses and children that need to be continually lifted up - even years after losing a parent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's way too easy to say 'I'll be praying' and then wander off and neglect to follow up on that promise. Thanks, Marilyn, for your gentle reminder that these kind of prayer requests have no time limit on them ...

      Delete
  3. Wow. Really puts things in perspective. Thank you Linda. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, Nancy. Oh to focus on what really matters instead of the trivia we fill our lives with ...

      Delete
  4. It is amazing how much impact one person can make on so many others! She reflected Jesus to everyone she knew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The importance of building a lasting legacy can't be emphasized enough. We will all be remembered in some way after the memorial service is long over. Oh God, please help us to be more purposeful in how we live our lives and help us not to be afraid of looking hard at our legacies ... while we can.

      Delete
  5. Dear Linda
    How you have blessed me today by sharing your friend who still lives on in the legacy she has left! I know what she means that before I became ill with Fm/ME I also knew of God, but now my eyes have seen Him. It is when we have nothing left that we really draw close to our Pappa and learn how to live daily in His wonderful, great, amazing and above all, loving Presence. Thanks again Linda, I feel so honored to have had the privilege of " meeting" your friend.
    Blessings and love
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mia, I know you share from a place of real authenticity and the reality of your own illnesses. That this has touched your heart is especially meaningful for me today. I would have loved to introduce you to Kristen because I sense that the two of you would have ministered deeply to one another.

      Thank you for the way you grace these comments, my friend ...

      Delete
  6. my life was changed by her as well. & by you saying "yes" & setting up the support groups :) thankful for you Linda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings on you and the gang, Meredith, as you continue this labor of love! I so appreciate that you've dropped in and said 'hi' ... I hope your precious family is doing well.

      Hugs for all!

      ;-}

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing this! What a beautiful and heart-breaking letter. I can see that she truly left an amazing legacy for her family and for those who knew and loved her. May God comfort your heart today, Linda, on this one year anniversary of her homegoing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homegoing. Yes. With her Creator and Savior, she is. And no more pain and suffering. Praise God!

      Delete
  8. That beautiful letter brought tears to my eyes and joy to my heart. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have said it so well, Aliza. There are tears, there is joy. Thank you for sharing with us this morning ...

      Delete
  9. This brought tears to my eyes too, Linda. Life is too short, isn't it? Let's love better, give grace, and be for each other. Thank you for touching my heart today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Let's love better, give grace.' Amen and amen, Laura. Now's the time. While we can speak it, live it, show it face to face. Please, dear reader out there, please don't wait til it's too late ...

      Delete
  10. oh... I'm tearing up. it's so beautiful and so unfair, too. i'm very sorry for your loss friend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily, for sharing comfort with me. This loss is still poignant, still fresh and pain-laced even a year later. Anniversaries do that, don't they ...

      Delete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...