Monday, October 21, 2013

People 101 : : Day 21 : : Happy-Clappy Church-Lover

If you told me I could only read half a handful of blogs, Sarah Bessey's would be one of them.  Hands down.  She's a stunning writer, and in the ways that are most important, I think we're rather alike.  In other ways that aren't all that critical?  Way different. 

And that I like. 

Because this self-described 'happy-clappy Jesus follower' never fails to enlarge my borders, stretch me just a bit, and invite me to look at faith from a slightly different perspective.  Sarah's new book, Jesus Feminist: An Invitation to Revist the Bible's View of Women, is coming out in the next few weeks.  And I, for one, can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

I'm all about iron sharpening iron.

For all of us who've had bad church experiences along the way {and who hasn't?}, I love her beautiful description of where she is in community in this season.  There's hope here, there's a place out there that fits you to a T, a place where you can worship and serve and be loved and enfolded into the family of God.

Let her take you there ...

'Because we drive by the farms on the edge of town and the tinies watch for sheep.  Because I almost always consider pulling over on the side of the road just to take photos of our Sunday drive: the crisp blue sky and the sharp green rolling hills, the turning-red blueberry bushes squatted across the fields, the rise of the mountains in the haze of morning, but how can you Instagram the rush of cold air in your lungs and how it makes you feel so beautifully, so fully, alive?

Because we walk in and Pat will hug me while she hands Joe the bulletin.  Because after a week of Facebook and school pick-ups and drop-off lines, a week of writing and laundry, a week of working and to-do lists, I hear my name called out in the lobby and, maybe for just a moment ... finish reading


~     ~     ~     ~     ~
 
The Multiple Giveaways!
Each comment you leave this month puts you in the running for one of the gifts we'll be sharing with our readers on October 31st {9 pm eastern, US and Canada only}.  We'll post the list of winners at that time and then it will be 'first come, first choice' for these readers to claim their prizes!  Limit 1 comment/day, please!

Subscribe to the Blog

8 comments:

  1. I've never gone to Sarah's blog before, Linda. Thanks so much for highlighting her here today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been fun to highlight just a few of the bloggers whose writings have hit home for me in this People 101 series {starting with you, my dear, way back on Day 2!}

      Readers - if you missed heading over to Beth's Messy Marriage with me, it's not too late! Do a little copy & paste and you're good to go -
      http://creeksideministries.blogspot.com/2013/10/people-101-day-2-disappointed-wives.html

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy Sarah's posts when others link to them. I guess it's time I subscribed to her blog myself! ha. Thanks for sharing this, Linda. I appreciate how your like your similarities with her AND your differences. That tells me a lot about your sweet heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure, Lisa ... if we insist on walking in rigid lock-step with others, insisting on complete agreement with every iota of theology or practice of faith and culture, our worlds will be shallow and small. The blogging world has introduced me to many sisters in the faith, and my life is richer for it.

      And you, my friend, are one of those people!

      ;-}

      Delete
    2. "Even though we are alike in ways we are also different in ways." I bet the little girl who wrote that about her best friend would love looking back at this post someday, knowing that her Grandma is just like her!

      Thanks, Linda, for this reminder of your "Jesus-Lovin' Schoolgirl" tonight (Day 4!), and also, as always, for modeling what you teach. When we let Christ define our borders, we can face them unafraid and with fresh eyes, trusting His heart and the Spirit Who guides us into all Truth.

      As it happens, this very message is what's behind a Casting Crowns song I can't seem to get enough of these days: http://inthehandsofthehealer.blogspot.com/2013/10/day-23-one-by-one.html

      God bless you!
      HBHW

      Delete
    3. Wow! You're pretty perceptive to catch the link between the words in this post and sweet granddaughter Kathryn's observations way back on Day 4!

      http://creeksideministries.blogspot.com/2013/10/people-101-day-4-jesus-lovin-schoolgirl.html

      And Casting Crowns? Surely do love their work ...

      ;-}

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great blog. I will definitely have to check it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Alicia ... Yes! Please give Sarah a visit! And thank you for taking the time to visit here, too ... I always love seeing your name pop up!

      ;-}

      Delete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...