Friday, October 11, 2013

People 101 : : Day 11 : : Groovy Crooners

OK ... so if you were around in 1968, you might remember this song.  Actually you had forgotten about it til it popped up on a recent TV commercial, right?  And I've gotta admit that when I heard it after all these years, I couldn't help but smile as I sang and danced my way out of the family room, my weary husband staring slack-jawed in disbelief at this rather odd late evening display of exuberance.
 
Hey ... where's my sister when I need her?  We could have crooned those old familiar lines together
 
This kind of goes along with People 101, don't you think?
 
;-} 
 
 
I think it's so groovy now
That people are finally getting together
I thinks it's wonderful and how
That people are finally getting together

Reach out in the darkness
Reach out in the darkness
Reach out in the darkness
And you may find a friend

I knew a man that I did not care for
And then one day this man gave me a call
We sat and talked about things on our mind
And now this man he is a friend of mine

Don't be afraid of love
(Don't be afraid) don't be afraid
Don't be afraid to love
(Listen to me)
Everybody needs a little love
Everybody needs somebody
That they can be thinking of
So reach out
- American Folk Song sung by husband & wife team, Friend & Lover -
 



 
 
~     ~     ~     ~     ~

The Multiple Book Giveaways!
Each comment you leave this month puts you in the running for one of the books we'll be sharing with our readers on October 31st {9pm eastern, US and Canada only.}  We'll post the list of winners at that time and then it will be 'first come, first choice' for these readers to claim their prizes!  Limit 1 comment/day, please!



The Nester's 31 Days Gang

Sharing a tune with Laura



14 comments:

  1. I've been enjoying your series Linda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a sweetheart, Elizabeth! I remember that last year's 31 Days was when I met you through your series on transitions! I'm truly happy we continue to stay in touch! Long term online connections are a rare gift ... and you, my friend, are one of those!

      ;-}

      Delete
  2. It is a little scary that I remember all the words to this song!! The words "reach out in the darkness and you may find a friend" hits me as reaching out to non-believers! If most of our friends are Christians, how are we going to share His love with unbelievers?? You need to "reach out in the darkness" and bring His light to them! Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We remember way too many songs. Hundreds and hundreds of them, easily! So ... why can't we remember what day it is or where we put those keys??

      Love you ...
      ;-}

      Delete
  3. Yes, you can find Him in places where you'd least expect Him to be. Maybe that's because this is where He first reaches us..."in the darkness."

    Talk about Relationship. One initiated by the Forever Friend!

    Hearing this song for the first time tonight. Thanks again for sharing, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes ... this is one of those tunes that only us oldtimers remember!

      ;-}

      Delete
  4. It really is such a happy, upbeat song, Linda. I can totally understand why you'd put on your dancing shoes when you heard the beat! I do remember this, not as clearly as you, but it's sweet that it made you wish you could croon it with your sis. Thanks for sharing a bit of joy with us, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're WAY TOO YOUNG to have remembered this oldie, my dear!

      ;-}

      Delete
  5. I do remember this song! I didn't ever really know the words though so I'm glad to see them here. Now you've got me dancing this morning. Good for you. :) Thanks, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad I'm not the only one 'of a certain age,' as they like to say! Thanks, Lisa, for joining me in moving {shuffling?!} across the floor!

      ;-}

      Delete
  6. It's been a long time since I've heard that song! Thanks for the "groovy" blast from the past!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you stopped by today, Nancy! I KNEW I wouldn't be the only one who remembered it. And aren't you glad that the word GROOVY is long gone from our vocabulary? !!

      ;-}

      Delete
  7. Every time that commercial comes on, I just want to hop up and dance! But this is even funner, sharing it with you :). Such a fun series, Linda. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping in, Laura! Always cool to hear your voice ...

      ;-}

      Delete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...