Sunday, September 1, 2013

A Meat & Potatoes Girl

Most of my friends are really good chefs.  Gourmets really.  I love when they invite me for dinner ... or choose an exotic local eatery for us to venture off to.  They know their way around a kitchen, their spice racks are filled with rare pungent essences from parts unknown, and you can be sure that if they're bringing something for the table, it ain't gonna be a bag of chips from the 7-Eleven.

Love these girls!

Anyway, a few of us were driving home late the other night and the subject turned to food.  I sat soaking it all in as one described her forays into Mexican cuisine and the exotic spices she had discovered that made her dishes soar and her husband swoon with adoration.  Another raved about her recent love affair with Thai food and a new something-or-other her son had taught her to make.  And before the third piped up, I just knew she's put some yummy eats on her table recently because I have a number of her recipes in my own {usually untouched} recipe box.

I smiled as I thought about the recent meager offerings at my house. 

'Well,' I offered, 'Tim throws some meat on the grill and I husk the corn.'  And we all laughed, but it's true.  And it's a bit odd because one big love of my life has been collecting vintage kitchen tools.  Yet, the kitchen is not my favorite room of the house.  I am a very simple cook, I get the meals on the table {most nights}, but I am a meat and potatoes girl, born and bred.  There's no fancy sauces around here, and my idea of grocery shopping is to quickly run through the aisles every few months at Dollar General or WalMart, coupons in hand, grabbing the most basic of staples when my cupboards are just about bare.

Sigh.

I'm a carnivore at heart.  My daddy taught me it's all about good meat.  And some veggies on the side.  Carbs.  Chocolate.  And anything home-baked.  Especially if it's from your oven.

But it's all good.  I'm not comparing myself with anyone else.  I am who I am.  So as we move from summer to fall, I'm celebrating by sharing a few of my own go-to recipes.  Not to worry - these are basic, simple no-brainers.  Your kids could make them - and they probably already do.  And best of all, you've already got the ingredients stashed in your cupboard and fridge. 

Eat hearty, my friends ~



*  cooking up a storm with  Donna  .   Laura  .  Jen  .  Jen  .  Amy  .  Kristen  .  Rachel

18 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I feel as thought I just gained 10 pounds. Ten delicious pounds! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy my groceries! And I know I'm not the only one!

      ;-}

      Delete
  2. I'm like you, Linda. A very simple cook who gets the job done when I have to. And when it comes to parties, I'm definitely "no Martha Stewart." So I'll gladly take your recipes because they are probably simple and easy but also delicious, right? Thanks for the peek inside your cupboard and life, my friend! Happy Labor Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, other things are calling me at this season of life! Even now, my husband is whipping up a holiday brunch while I catch up on all my online stuff so we can go spend the day together.

      Let me know if any of these work for you, ok, Beth? Thanks!

      Delete
  3. The only thing I like about the kitchen is eating there. ha. I'm with you. I'm a very simple cook too. My mother was a country girl who never made fancy dishes (lasagna was as fancy as we got) so I guess I picked that up for her. And everything revolved around meat. But, I do have several friends who love to cook, and I'm glad for them! Thanks for sharing some recipes here. I'll look them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm thinking we cook like we ate as kids, Lisa. And when it comes to lasagna, my big culinary secret is adding handfuls of fresh spinach to the layers. Actually, fresh spinach really makes the world go round!

      ;-}

      Delete
  4. We are pretty simple around here when it comes to meals. Meat, starch, vegetable. And a can of Coke for the hubs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As long as you cook that's all that matters! Like you said, it's better from *your* oven!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm am sometimes in awe at what other people pull out of their appliances, Monica!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I'll be trying some of these recipes, Monica. I'm a plain cook, too. Quick in the kitchen so I can get out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy every bite, Pamela! And let me know how it worked out for you!

      Delete
  8. I'm like you -- I love the vintage kitchen stuff, but I'm not that thrilled with being in the kitchen itself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I wasn't the only one! Thanks, Michelle, for dropping by ...

      Delete
  9. You sound like a woman after my own heart, Linda! My husband does most of the cooking around here, but I love the idea of being a gourmet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those the best meals, when someone else is manning the stove?

      ;-}

      Delete
  10. I'm not a fancy cook either, but I do enjoy variety. I'm always ready to try a new ethnic recipe as long as the ingredients are easy to come by and inexpensive and the recipe is simple and quick.
    My grocery shopping style is sort of road rally-ish. I race down the aisles as fast as possible while avoiding collisions with other shoppers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, 'road rally-ish' sums it up well! There's other things I'd much prefer doing ...

      Delete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...