Sunday, August 11, 2013

Gleanings : : Screen Rules . Job Hater . Tither . Robbers . Truest Love



Screen Rules - {be sure your family has some.}
'I mentioned a few weeks ago that my husband and I were drafting some new screen rules for our family.  We have tweaked here and there, let it sit, shared it with a few friends.  Then, there was a big, fruitful chat with the kids.  Here's a look inside our attempt to focus on building meaningful relationships and to spend more time reading things of substance ...'

How I learned to love my job - {do this.  go ahead.}
'I want to tell you a story about how I learned to love my job.  First I need to tell you why I hated my job: health insurance.  Simply put, I wouldn’t need to work my day job if my wife and I could buy health insurance, but because Sonia had cancer a few years back, we can’t get insured.  My job is the only feasible source for health insurance, so I’m tied to it for now.  And boy, did I resent the heck out of that ...'

What Would Happen if the Church Tithed? - {mmm ...}
'The church of today is not great at at giving.  This isn’t exactly news.  But it is a statistical fact:  Tithers make up only 10-25 percent of a normal congregation.  Only 5 percent of the U.S. tithes, with 80 percent of Americans only giving 2 percent of their income.  Christians are only giving at 2.5 percent per capita, while during the Great Depression they gave at a 3.3 percent rate.  The truth is: Giving is a heart issue, not a money issue.  Numbers like that can invoke a lot of guilt, which isn’t really the point.  The larger point is ...'

How Stuff Robs Us of Those We Love the Most - {yes, yes, yes.}
'My son had been born a few weeks before, and I was already struggling to focus.  All these responsibilities, all these expectations.  So much to manage and so little time.  Born four and a half weeks early, our little Aiden wasn’t sleeping but a few hours per night before needing to nurse.  It was a daily ritual to Google “signs of colic” and wonder if there was anything we could do to make all this a tiny bit easier.  Though I had taken a couple weeks off of work, the iPhone kept buzzing uncontrollably, and the sleeplessness was starting to wear on me.  The house was a mess.  The laundry pile a small mountain.  My email inbox completely out of control.  I wasn’t sure how much more I could take.  That night ...'

What is Love? - {I honor my father-in-law, who lived this kind of love for his wife before he went to meet Jesus last October.}



Savor ~







==>   visiting with Kristen & company



8 comments:

  1. Thanks for gleaning for us, Linda. I love posts like this--the best of the best. I'm off to do some more reading now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you're gleaning from the Gleanings, Lisa! You make me smile, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just some great "stuff" here Linda! Thank you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great links- Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT stuff Linda! Your posts are always so informative and useful. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A note from you, Nancy? A lovely way to start today!

      Delete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...