Sunday, June 16, 2013

Dear Dad ~









Dear Dad ~

Happy 57 years of celebrating Father's Day, happy 61 years with my sainted mother, happy 85th birthday to you.

I hold you close and stretch my arm way out, camera in hand.  We're still making memories whenever we can.  And I want to capture this celebration before we dive into great huge bowls of chocolate ice cream on the most gorgeous Cape Cod day ever.  Before we laugh the sunny afternoon away as we fill the newly painted window boxes with multi-hued petunias and patch the driveway and cut the rhubarb.  Before we sit and watch the birds explore the bird house and someone who shall remain nameless tracks driveway tar onto the light aqua carpeting.  Before the evening falls and the breeze cools and we watch TV at ear-piercing levels and talk politics and books and you share ancient photos and vividly-detailed stories from Scotland in the century past.

We all know you never expected to hit this milestone.  Ah ... but God had other plans, and here you are, moving around on your own two feet and in your right mind.  Wisdom still comes from your heart and your vast life experience.  You still break into hearty song on a moment's notice ... and I realize in the writing of this that my sister and I do the same.  For the nuts didn't fall far from the tree, did they ...

You still prize hard work and an eye to detail, even though you might be moving just a tad slower.  Your eyes are quick to fill at the most sensitive of moments.  You make us laugh ... and yes, we both continue to make each other crazy from time to time.

And when you confidently pound on heaven's doors in perfect King James English, I know our Redeemer listens.  You have shown us how to be faithful to Him and to each other. 

Please know I value your wise counsel more than ever.  And I know I'm not the only one.  So please rejoice in this season because your legacy is living on, even as we speak.  Through your children.  Children's children.  And children's children's children.

How good is God!

I love you, Daddy ~


 




'Listen to your father, who gave you life ...'
Proverbs 23:22.
==>  celebrating Dad with Beth & company

16 comments:

  1. Hear Hear! Here's to recognizing him as an amazing patriarch of the family. May he know the impact he has had on so many. We join you in saluting him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hear, Hear, indeed!

      ;-}

      {And do you look like your mother in that picture or what?!}

      Auntie Linda

      Delete
  2. I remember stories about Scotland, and the appreciation for family and the blessings God has given him around the Thanksgiving table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does make a good speech! No one does it better!

      Linda

      Delete
  3. Love these words, and the photos are perfect! Thank you for sharing your dad with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm honored to have shared a bit of Dad with you, Deidra!

      Linda

      Delete
  4. This is the most tender love message. Happy Father's Day to your daddy, Linda :). Love those pictures.

    And guess what? You won one of Billy's books! Send me your snail at laraj@suddenlink.net and I'll have the publisher get it right out to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to speak, to write the words now. I don't want to wait til the people I love are gone to honor them well ...

      And to win a book, Laura? Yee-Haw!

      Linda

      Delete
  5. aww:)! God is good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "You have shown us how to be faithful to Him and to each other." Thanks for sharing this, Linda.

    And thanks to your dad, and mom, from someone who's never met them . . . because the legacy of that tender upbringing -- in "the nurture and counsel of the Lord" (Eph. 6:4) -- extends to Creekside "children," too!

    Your beach photo reminds me of God's promise to Abraham. All those grains of sand . . .

    Grateful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hearing you loud and clear, Grateful Girl. And will be delighted to pass your gratitude on to my parents, who will be deeply touched by your words.

      Linda

      Delete
  7. What a sweet tribute to your dad and the photos are the icing on the cake, Linda! I especially love the one with you and, I suppose, your sister and dad years ago. I'm so glad that you have the opportunity to brag about him and that he was/is a loving father who loved/loves the Lord. That's so special and worthy of celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am blessed. And oh so grateful. Thanks for celebrating my dad with me, Beth!

      Llinda

      Delete
  8. Linda,

    You got most of the memories, but forgot the ones of Dad eavesdropping behind the kitchen door when we were teenagers on the phone! Also it was him who finished the can of whipped cream when it was gone so quickly, not me! We have lots of be thankful for - he was and is an indescribable man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, my dear sister, have ALWAYS had a memory like an elephant! Please stay close to me if/when we ever reach our 'golden' years ... most likely I'll need you to remind me of my name!

      ;-}

      Linda

      Delete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...