Friday, May 17, 2013

Sisters Crooning Off-Key



We grew up side by side way back in the 50s, the 60s.

In the church, week in week out.

Sunday morning, Sunday evening.  And one afternoon a week for Pioneer Girls.

Let me tell you we knew every verse of every hymn and chorus that ever was written.

Each and every one.

Deep into our souls they settled, where the truths and the melodies made permanent impressions.

We headed into those sometimes volatile teenage years, very different in every way imaginable.

And in addition to Sunday morning and Sunday evening and Pioneer Girls came Youth Group.

And 77am WABC on the dials of our cute little transistor radios.  And Top 40's tunes and words were added to our ever increasing repertoire.

Here we are in our 50s these days, she and I, still different as night and day.  And at any given moment on absolutely any occasion, one can turn and just look at the other ...

And we begin to croon every verse to any and every song that pops into either one of our feeble brains.  Totally silly.  Never seriously.  Hymns, choruses, top 40 music from back in the day.

In perfect harmony.

{We'd like to think!}

Our families roll their eyes and quickly head in the other direction 'cause it sounds so bad.

But we don't care.

This is part of our legacy we leave.

I hope we grow old together, singing sweet, slightly out of key, off beat music on some beach somewhere, sweatshirt wrapped and huddled in ratty old blankets, lobster rolls clutched in our vein-lined, shaky old hands.

Here's to my sister!  Long may we croon!




Five Minute Friday

20 comments:

  1. What a sweet memory! I love it! Visiting fromFive Minute Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes ... the memories live on, much to the aching eardrums of our family members who're forced to listen! Thanks, Amanda!

      Linda

      Delete
  2. So very touching. This is a great post! Thanks for sharing about the deep connection you two sisters have. You two are both blessed to have one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you know it!!! I love your mama more and more with each passing year ...

      {You, too!}

      Aunt Linda

      Delete
  3. I can totally see the two of you (even though I know neither of you) making a joyful noise on the beach! You had me at "beach." Music - what a wonderful bond to share together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Elizabeth, a NOISE it is! Pity the ears of those who happen to be standing by. And there's probably nothing we enjoy more than catching each other's eye and launching into our next off-kilter melody ...

      Linda

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Yep ... beauty's in the EARS of the beholder, yes?

      Thanks for coming by!

      Linda

      Delete
  5. What, no post of our Mother's Day rendition from last week? You would have lost people who read your blog quickly and listened to that song!! We are a lot cuter in this picture than we are now, but our relationship keeps getting better and better! See you on the beach - I will bring the lobster rolls, you bring the blankets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You KNOW that if I had that video it would be front and center here today! Oh ... and make sure you get those great onion rings, too, ok?

      Love you, Mah ~
      Linda

      Delete
  6. Oh, this made me smile! My two closest friends (I grew up with them) and I would crowd around the piano when we were barely old enough to sing and belt out the tunes as loudly as we could. Though I'm sure we didn't sound the greatest, ;) those memories are precious. I love this...thank you for sharing! Happy Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep ... let's hear it for belting out those tunes, Mel!

      Linda

      Delete
  7. What a great memory and beautiful tribute to your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure brings back many wonderful and precious memories, both positive and negative, as I realize anew the Lord's goodness to me as your mother!!!!!! Love, Mom

    {via email}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You surely are a patient saint, Mom ... how you stood us all those years I'll never know! Grace, grace ...

      I love you ~
      Linda

      Delete
  9. What a sweet beautiful memory. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I needed a good smile today and you brought it, Linda. Thanks. By the way....I used to be able to sing. My dream for heaven is that God will give me a beautiful voice and I'll be able to belt out all the great contemporary worship songs that I hear on the radio these days...and it won't scare people away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we'll be in good company up there on that fine day, my dear friend! May that truth give you hope and encouragement this afternoon ...

      Linda

      Delete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...