Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Sing a Song for Marriage

You're just not gonna find too many songs that encourage you in your marriage. Sappy country songs and insipid Top 40 music only leave you feeling just a wee bit more entitled to throw up your hands in hopeless defeat and move on to find your next true 'soulmate.'

What a pack of lies. 

Truth be told, sooner or later we're all gonna need a bit of encouragement injected into this til-death-do-us-part commitment.  Especially if we've been ignorantly or foolishly traveling on autopilot.  Something needs to be reignited, jump started, kicked into gear again.  Starting with asking yourself this simple question: What's it like being married to you?

Ouch.

All I can say is what my counseling clients have heard endless times.  Be sure to leave no stone unturned in your efforts to salvage and restore what seems broken beyond repair ...





 
 

  
 
Messy Marriage

10 comments:

  1. Last month marked our 20th anniversary and what I have come to know after all of these years, is that marriage is creativity and imagination, revelation and solutions. And bravery, because love can be a scary thing. Thanks Linda for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Dina! 'Creativity and imagination, revelation and solutions.' Yes, yes, my friend ...

      Linda

      Delete
  2. LOVE that song!! I saw a quote once that said something about the key to a successful marriage being "falling in love many times, always with the same person". I try to remember that when things get rocky :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Laurel ... it grabbed my attention while driving to work last week ... had to swerve and dig around for a pen and scrap of paper to get the title down. I KNEW a post wouldn't be long in coming ...

      Linda

      Delete
  3. Yeah, I've often thought about that question and it always cuts me to the core, Linda. I know that I don't always see how bad my attitude is or how selfish or prideful I'm being. I want to keep that realization always in the forefront of my mind. Thanks for reminding me of it again today. Oh, and I love the song! Thanks also for linking this up with Wedded Wed, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth - the first time I asked myself the question, I felt stomach-punched. We've just gotta own our stuff, yes?

      Linda

      Delete
  4. Now there's a question that makes me stop, "What's it like being married to you?"
    I am almost afraid to examine that too closely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's much easier to look at someone else's failings than to look into our own mirrors. I know you hear me, and thank you for that gift, Elizabeth ...

      Linda

      Delete
  5. oh wow... yes... that is such a good question to think about!! thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...