Tuesday, February 26, 2013

It's That Time of Month . . .

No, not THAT time of month!

It's just about time to flip the calendar page yet once again.  A fresh new month awaits with all its promise and plans.  And just for a minute or two, my heart sinks.  Just a bit.  'Cause I know it's time to tighten my belt and let go of my leisurely eat-whatever-I-wanna-eat attitude ... and cast aside any pounds accumulated since I last stepped onto a scale in front of another human being.

I sigh.  And then kick in another round of eating well.  Lots of fiber and water and salads.  Healthy protein and much smaller portions.  Few carbs and unhealthy fats.  Visions of bacon pizza with extra cheese, juicy medium-rare burgers, Dunkin' Donuts goodies, and Three Musketeers candy bars often dance seductively in my head, begging me to succumb to their succulent temptations.

But I can be pig-headed and determined.  There are few things that I can control as life whizzes by.  But one thing I CAN control is what I put in my mouth.  And I'm compelled to keep on claiming my prized, hard won Weight Watchers lifetime membership status, get down to within 2 pounds of my goal weight, drive a half hour, and weigh in.  Each and every month, year after year.

There's been many months like this past one where I felt like a forlorn rabbit, endlessly nibbling on greens while everyone else seemed to be feasting away on all the good stuff.  I pouted and whined and wanted to forget the whole thing and just eat my way into oblivion.  The weight absolutely refused to come off and it was frigid outside and almost impossible to find a time to walk without freezing to death and I was endlessly looking for excuses.  But out of shear desperation, I hung on to the goal ... staying healthy for the long haul.

And after 25 days, I finally got to weigh in.  And I breathed a huge sigh of relief.  For now.

My GO-TO foods?

100% Whole Wheat Pepperidge Farm Deli Flats or Arnold Sandwich Thins


Thomas' Multi-Grain Light English Muffins


Weight Watchers Chocolate Caramel Mini Bars
 
 
Cheerios
 
 

AND ...
Whole Wheat Pasta 
 
Whole Wheat Couscous

Brown Rice
 
Fresh Spinach
 
Tomatoes
 
Avocados
 
Berries

Water

I salute and embrace all of you who struggle mightily along with me, yet refuse to give up the vision of healthy living.  We're in the same boat, baby ...





 

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post, since I've put on a few lbs. since menopause, and am running and trying to get them off!
    Thanks for your kind and encouraging comments at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good to know that we're not alone in this battle for our health, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I asked for an elliptical machine for my birthday. My goal is to feel better. If I set my goal to lose weight I know I'll get frustrated and quit. So I do my half hour a day and I do feel better. If I lose weight in the process that's an added benefit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1/2 hour a day is super, Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I tell everyone what an awesome job you've done on WW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It works. For the long haul. But you've gotta work it!

    Thanks for your support, K!

    ;-}

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...