Monday, February 25, 2013

A Zero Tolerance For Gossip

 
It's akin to its ugly stepsister, slanderGossip.  The idle talk, the poisonous rumor, the vicious tattling, the telling of tales out of school.  It's a powerful destroyer of any kind of trust and safety and peace in the workplace.  The church.  And relationships from here to there.
 
Let's face it.  At one point or another, we're all guilty as charged.
 
I've gotta tell you that I'm impressed with how Dave Ramsey's organization handles gossip.  If you toil away in the 9-5 workplace, I bet you wouldn't mind seeing this policy enacted around your water cooler. 
 
And it only makes me wonder what our church leadership teams would look like if there was a zero-tolerance policy for loose lips, malicious chatter, and character assassination, most particularly under the guise of urgent 'prayer requests.'  Especially in the hallways or parking lot after those endless committee, board, and business meetings.
 
You get what I'm saying, don't you ...
 
Here's a bit of straight talk, unedited, with no pious platitudes.  I love it.
 

 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. I am deliberate about choosing NOT to gossip - but still find myself doing it sometimes. Or wondering where the line was and if I crossed it. I'm a work in progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure, Megan, we are all in process of growing, stretching, changing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be hard to make sure your conversations don't turn into gossip, but it's worth the effort (for your sake and those around you). Found your blog at the Living Well Wednesday party

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend and I have a pact that if either of us start, we stick our fingers in our ears and go "la la la la la" and that immediately lets us know that we are beginning to gossip.

    Thanks for sharing today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gossip probably my grandmothers worst activity and something that if I am not careful I take up very easily with
    come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'La la la la la' sounds like it just might work, even at the risk of looking like you've lost your minds! Thanks for your insights, dear online friends!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...