Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The One Word Challenge

Heidi's word is souljourn.

Sarah's word is light.
 
Alece's word is enough.

In recent years we seem to be getting away from making resolutions {who keeps them anyway?} and goal setting {how many did we ever achieve?}.  Instead, the trend is to head toward discovering, embracing, and claiming one word for the year ahead.  A bit of a compelling guide, a gentle challenge, a steady purpose.    

Who do I want to be by the end of 2013?  What attitude do I want to cultivate in order to make my way there?  

Not what do I want to do.  No shoulds/have tos/oughttas.  No pressure.  No feeling like a failure or a loser when you stumble or fall short. 

The coach in me always was a champion of goals.  But I find this invitation to be like throwing the windows open wide and taking a deep breath of fresh, crisp air.

This isn't something you just pull randomly out of a hat.  It requires some solitude laced with a hefty dose of contemplative prayer.  A purposeful pause after the activity and merriment of the holidays.  For me that means time with my well-worn Bible and journal at the ready ... and way more than two minutes of a quickie quiet time. 

John 16:13 reminds us that the Holy Spirit guides us into all truth.  Isaiah 30:21 tells us that 'your ears will hear a word behind you, 'This is the way, walk in it.'  And so I'm listening for that compelling word that will come from the One who knows what I need for the months ahead.

I don't know how long it will be til this simple word comes to rest firmly in my heart and mind.  I'm savoring a few right now.  But I do know I'm enjoying the journey of discovering it.  And will be wholly confident in God's invitation to me for the next 360+ days.

You'll be the first to know when it does. 

So ... what's your 2013 word going to be?  Discover your invitation right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...