Saturday, January 19, 2013

Proof of His Love



If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don't love,
I'm nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. 

If I speak God's Word with power, revealing all His mysteries and
making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, 'Jump,'
and it jumps, but I don't love, I'm nothing.

If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr,
but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere.  So, no matter what I say, what I believe,
and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love.
1 Corinthians 13:1-3 {The Message}
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Bankrupt. That is no small thing, huh? Surely God is serious about his command for us to love one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure, Deidra, that hefty word should be enough for us to sit up and take notice of how we're living and loving...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love is a VERB ... validating action ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, Sonya! This is all about action, not simply a passive agreement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this translation. it makes understanding it plain and simple. Whatever we do, we must love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just what we heard this morning in church - God is love. And so we too are called to love. Very good word - "bankrupt" we do feel that way emotionally if we can't love.
    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Message sure brings it home, doesn't it ...

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...