Monday, December 31, 2012

Vintage Office Organizing

 
 
 
My home office is where I do all my blogging, bill paying, note writing, and online wandering.
It's furnished with odds and ends from garage sales, second-hand furniture shops, and auctions.  
 
 
 
 
It's also a tranquil, quiet place to read, listen to music, and gaze out at the birds dining at the feeders,
keeping an eye open for a stray deer or maybe a turkey or two that might wander in from the woods. 
 
 
 
 
This wonderful post office/hotel front desk organizer with its old blue paint sits on my desk.  90 little cubbies hold all the collectibles that I know would otherwise be strewn around on every available surface and would end up being a distraction instead of a pleasure. 
 
 
 
 
 I picked it up at an auction down the street. 
No fine antiques around here!  Just fun collectibles, cheap.    
 
 
 
 
Ancient handhewn wooden tool boxes are perfect for holding CDs
and a few more collectibles that bring a smile.
 
 
 
 
An old oak file cabinet corrals tons of extra file folders, paper, envelopes,
maps, DVDs, journals, games, and small electronics gear.
 
 
 
 
Taking care of business in the midst of well-loved and much used objects
gathered over the years is relaxing and rejuvenating for me.
 
 
 
 
Old wooden kitchen silverware organizers do a fine job of keeping desk drawers well organized.  Mail that needs attention, sticky notes, business cards, stamps, address labels, and all things miscellaneous now have a designated landing site.  No need to frantically paw around for my address book, postage, a paper clip, or a bill that needs to be paid.
 
 
 

Clutter? 

It makes me crazy, exhausted, and ends up being a sure-fire creativity killer!  Knowing that I can quickly find what I need without rifling through endless piles offers a bit of tranquility.  Because when all is said and done, just a bit of organization here and there has gone a long way toward simplifying life. 
 
 
 

16 comments:

  1. Absolutely love that big wooden storage chest! When you can have form and function, it's the best of both worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that wooden chest as well, and the little handles with the labels are gorgeous as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! Let's be inspired to take good care of the possessions we're privileged to call ours ... yet hold them loosely in our hands, realizing that our stuff isn't what gives us true joy and satisfaction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the antique look and I also love the wood chest :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Yes! Old wood beats plastic any day of the week!

    Thanks for taking the time to comment, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That wooden chest is really awesome and it never occurred to me to use silverware organizers to organize small office supplies. Thanks for the tips!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The multi-cubby unit is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't you love it when every thing has a place to reside?

    Thanks for jumping in to the conversation, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the old drawers, remind me of the card catalogs at the library. Love how you use them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, I'm pretty sure this was a piece used in an office at some point.

    Thanks, Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. mmm ... the richness, the heft, the scars and markings, the history and repurposing of anything old ... I LOVE it!

    Thanks for dropping in, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great vintage storage solutions. I love the look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna, for stopping in to visit my home office! I'm glad you came by ...

      ;-}

      Delete
  13. I'm obsessed with your cubby organizer, Linda! Oh how I could fill that, my friend! Your office looks like a dream collection of antique fun and beauty. I really want every piece you showed us above :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I sure do love my post office cubby! And even though this post is a couple of years old, things still look about the same around here! When I saw your wonderful find, I just had to share it with you, Candace!

      Delete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...