Friday, December 28, 2012

My 2012 Favorites

It was fun sharing your favorite 2012 Creekside posts!  Now here's what hit home for me!  Some of these writings didn't get alot of attention, and many of them come from a very personal perspective.  No wonder they have a special place in my heart.  If you click on the titles, you'll probably discover why ...

January
Feeling Like Gumby
If you know me well, you KNOW that I have a great heart for the health, sanity, life balance, and well being of ministry leaders, having gone through the whole depression and burnout thing myself back in the day ...


February
Legacy Retreat #10
Last week, I packed a few bags and went off to work at my 10th Inheritance of Hope Legacy Retreat.  During the past four years, I've spent time in New York and Florida, privileged to sit and have conversations with dozens and dozens of parents from all over the country whose lives have been turned upside down by a life threatening illness.  During our morning group sessions together ...


March
Introverted People Helpers
A few years back, I won a copy of Adam McHugh's Introverts in the Church.  {I never win anything, so it was quite the thrill!}  And as I began paging through each chapter, it was like gazing in a mirror into my soul. I felt affirmed and validated in ways that I had never experienced before.  Someone truly got it.  The reasons I was drawn to {and offended by} certain personalities.  Why I parented the way I did.  The way that deep wounds were so slow to heal ...


April
Choose the Ladder
I've always loved playing Chutes & Ladders!  As a little girl, blossoming young mama, or hanging-in-there grandma, my competitive edge has emerged more than once.  I've really gotten into zipping up those big tall ladders, flying right past my opponents, and getting nearer to my goal of stepping onto that final golden square marked '100.'  But along the way, my heart has dropped like a stone ...


May
The Drama Queen
You know who those Drama Mamas are.  The ones where everything is a great big deal.  All of life is a major production - and they are the stars.  Constantly stressed to the max, every occurrence, every life event, every piece of news provides yet another stage for them to overreact.  The end of the world is usually ...


June
Musings From a Wanna Be Gardener
She pinches and clips and prunes.  Waters and fertilizes and rearranges.  She craves color and scent and contrast, the feel of warm and crumbly black compost in her hands, tender green leaves between her fingertips.  She loves filling her old watering cans and emptying their contents on ...


July
5 Truths My Clients Have Taught Me
Life is filled with milestones to be observed and celebrated.  These line-in-the-sand landmarks always present an opportunity to sit back and review, reflect and express gratitude ... and consider what might be on the road ahead.  I'm celebrating a decade in my role as a pastoral counselor.  And I'm smiling, inside and out!  Back in July 2002, I set up shop in our living room.  The personal stuff was moved out and ...


August
When Blogging Would Have Been a Cryin' Shame
It's a rare gift to be fully present to another.  To live right smack dab in the middle of the moment you are in.  To say 'no' to distractions.  To say 'yes' to the soul right in front of your nose.  It's an art.  There aren't 3 magic steps or a handy checklist available to make this happen.  It's a choice that we're called to make day in and day out.  To say a wholehearted 'yes' to one thing can only lead to 'no thank you' to another opportunity ... 


September
Adios to Rescuing, Fixing, Saving
The subject of boundaries is a substantial, ongoing thread woven through many counseling conversations.  Counselors assist people in figuring out what boundaries look like and why a boundaried lifestyle works.  We sort through the damage done when clear boundaries haven't been set up or when they've been violated.  And we work together to move into the future with a truer sense of what healthy emotional {and sometimes physical} perimeters look like ...


October
4 Building Blocks to a Stronger Blog Community
Hey blogger friends!  We're all in this together, this call to blog, the commitment to write, to share words that spring from overflowing hearts and unique life experiences.  And yes, there is a pull to be in community with kindred spirits online, that has nothing to do with stats or numbers or followers.  Even though we'll probably never meet face to face ...  


November
My Hands Are Off It
I was leafing through my journal this morning and came upon this entry from several months back ...
I was struck yesterday afternoon by what happens to my soul soon after I really release a situation, a problem, a person, a relationship to You, Lord.  This has happened time and again.  The memories remain, but the impact, the concern, the burden truly is gone.  This is so hard to explain to someone, for it must be experienced ...
 
 
December
Ah ... she so wanted it to be a Norman Rockwell holiday.  Soft music playing in the background as the loving family gathered around the well-appointed table, lavishly laden with all manner of delectables.  The china and silver and crystal sparkling in the candlelight, the well-used name tags fashioned out of index cards by little fingers so many years ago reminding them of every holiday that they'd spent together ...
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm choosing to pretty much unplug for a few weeks, but yes, I'll still be popping in here and there to respond to your kind words!

I'd love to know you dropped by ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...