Wednesday, September 26, 2012

What We Battle With

I proudly sported an 'I Love My Attitude Problem' t-shirt way back in my high school days.  That my parents let me out the door amazes me since a matching sweater and skirt set was the expected attire when leaving our home for school or church. 

Yikes - the '70s was a horrendous era for fashion!

Nevertheless, the writing scrawled across my chest simply reflected the state of my heart, a facade of jaded cynicism, a mask I hid behind.  And claiming an attitude surely helped booster my basement level self-esteem. 

Or so I thought.

I think that most of this has come and gone over the years.  But those who are closest to me know that I've continued to wrestle with a critical spirit and have found patience to be in short supply when under pressure. 

A bunch of letters after someone's name in no way signifies that she's arrived.

So my gratitude goes to the always-thought-provoking writer Sarah Bessey for putting into clear cut words what so many of us have battled with over time ... cynicism, a critical spirit, impatience, all fueled by those unresolved facets of anger - hurt, frustration, fear, and feeling disrespected.  Truth be told, if we want to be healthy in all the ways that matter, sooner or later we'll need to name the emotions that are true about us, and figure out what we want to do about them.


I think most of us are longing to let the beauty of Jesus be seen in us.  It's a Holy Spirit work we need.  Oh bring us healing, Lord, in every area where there is brokenness and failure.  And help us to make the choices that must be made to reflect what's truest in our souls ... that when all is said and done, we yearn to bring You honor that's fueled by a magnificently freeing love that's been sparked by Your grace.


      'Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me'
- Psalm 51:10.

4 comments:

  1. I love this post!! I completely relate to it. The quote was perfect, and I need to remember it!! Have a blessed day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a t-shirt that said what? Can't quite visualize that.

    I am struggling in these areas also and my anger seems to come when I am pressed on all sides to do what is right or to do everything right. That is what I get from James 1:20. "Human anger does not achieve God's righteous purpose".

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm ... visualize it! Kinda scary, huh? Those were the days ...

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...