Thursday, July 5, 2012

Kindness


I handed the cashier $4 and dumped 2 cents into my wallet in return.  While wishing her a great afternoon, I shoved the wallet into my bag and grabbed my keys in one quick motion.  My mind was clicking away.  Five errands done, two to go. 

Yes! 

A bag of 8 ears of fresh corn-on-the-cob in hand, I careened out of the checkout aisle ... and almost ran smack dab into a mom and her young son.  'Oh, I'm so sorry,' I said quickly, feeling like a self-absorbed fool for not even imagining that someone else just might be headed out the door ahead of me.  'Please go ahead!'

'No, please, you go.'  Her smile was warm and genuine. 

I laughed and said, 'thanks for letting the old lady go ahead of you!'

She smiled.  And she was almost radiant when she said to me, 'You get blessings when you are kind.'

I smiled back and said 'AMEN!' as I led our way out the door.  'Cause I knew, somehow in my soul, that she was a sister in Christ. 

She showed Jesus to me.

And as I pulled out of the parking lot, the guy on the radio spoke another morsel of truth, something else worth mulling over.  'Live in such a way that if anyone says a bad thing about you, no one will believe it.'

When talking about kindness, business coach Shandel Slaten states, 'It is proactive. It takes initiative. It is intentional. It is something I can practice and get good at.'

And the really good news is that kindness is a fruit of the Spirit {Galatians 5}.  So if Christ is really dwelling in me to overflowing, bountiful kindness should be springing forth and bubbling over, impacting everyone I connect with.  Naturally.

When all is said and done, I'd really like kindness to be one of my calling cards.  It's how I'd like to be remembered. 

You, too?
Linda
'Aways be kind to each other'
1 Thessalonians 5:15.

- picture by SARAH's photostream -

- linked up to Women Living Well -

2 comments:

  1. Amen in deed!!! I love your story, what a beautiful blessing you were to one another!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you love it when God meets us right in the middle of the grocery store, the bank ... the dailyness of running errands and living life?

    Thanks for dropping in, Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...