Friday, June 8, 2012

Expectation for the Marathon

She puts a challenge on the table.  Focus on one word for 5 minutes and write your heart out. 

I like 300 seconds better.  Seems like I've got just a bit more time to hit the keyboard. 

But unlike other blog posts, there's no extensive editing or polishing up the truth that comes tumbling from my heart and mind and fingertips. 

And today's word just happens to be EXPECTATION.

Expectation.  Hope.  Faith.  Some kind of evidence of things not seen ... but expected.

Waiting.  For 9 months as a child grows deep inside the womb.  Wondering.  Fearful of the worst.  Hoping and praying that all would be well.

Scared.  Filled with 'what if's'.  So young to be a mama.  Can I birth this baby?  How will I know what to do? 

Bringing her home from the hospital.  Laying the car seat oh-so-gently down on the sofa, my husband turns to me and I turn to him and one says to the other, "now what do we do?"

Trusting.  That God will give us what we need to parent well.  To know what to do in the middle of the night when she wakes or when to take her to the hospital or how to potty train or discipline.  Or how to love well.

Expectations turn into realities.  And the reality was that Jesus was with me through my hopes, fears, wonderings.  And years later, the end result of His creation was-oh-so beyond my wildest dreams ...

Linda

P.S.
... a bit more on that 24/7 eighteen year marathon


- photo by Leo Reynolds -

12 comments:

  1. Hi Linda,

    I came over from Lisa-Jo's place. So glad I did. The Lord is speaking to my mama-heart today. First through Lisa-Jo and now through you. Watching my kids grow and the thought that they'll one day leave me makes my soul ache. Thankful that He's giving me sweet mama's to share these hard times with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like there's alot of musing going on about parenting today!

    The good news is that there are joys in every season. Please don't dread the empty nest ... there is sweetness there, too.

    Thanks for jumpstarting the conversation here, Tracey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great words here. I love you yo broke it down-- it flowed so well (which can be such a challenge sometime with FMF.)

    Looking forward to someday have the opportunity to be an expectant Mama :-)

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Writing something worth reading in 5 minutes. Early in the morning. Before a cup of tea. No editing and re-editing!

    Craziness!

    Thanks for stopping by, Sharita!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we are neighbors...oh doesn’t He do more than we can ever dream of...blessings to you~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neighbors as in NY neighbors ... or close in spirit?

    Welcome, Ells!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a wonderful description of your parenting journey...we're in the elementary school age, so your post is encouraging as it sounds like your little one is now 18? Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The little ones will be 32 and 34 this summer!

    http://creeksideministries.blogspot.com/2011/12/lots-of-cookies-and-sparkling-punch.html

    God is good ...

    Be encouraged today, Dolly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda, this is exactly what I needed to read today as I wait for my first baby due in October. Thank you for your words on hope and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  10. May this time of anticipation be filled with a steady, peaceful growth in your faith!

    Keep us posted, Brenda!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What you wrote makes me think that I should not only trust God to help and meet my needs, but expect Him to, in His own way and His own time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! That expectation that He will do what He has promised in His Word has to be the sweet power that gives us peace ... even if His timetable makes no sense to us.

    Always good to have you drop in, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...