Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Reality of Destructive Relationships

When it comes to confidently addressing relationships that are controlling, disrespectful, or toxic, no one responds with more biblical wisdom and perceptive insight than Leslie Vernick.  Long time blog readers and counseling clients are no strangers to the impact of her work.

Take a look at this, this, and this.

So if something seems strangely off-kilter with someone in your life, what patterns should you be aware of?


And what happens when you don't take recognize and address these unhealthy ways of relating?


Toxic relationships can be found in a myriad of places.  In a marriage.  Between parents and adult children.  Or between siblings.  With friends.  In the workplace or within a partnership of some kind.  And yes, sadly, in the context of unbiblical church leadership

The good news is that you are not alone.  And you don't need to be stuck or paralyzed with fear.  You do have the power to respond in ways that can bring needed change.

Take heart today.  You can take action.

'So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with My righteous right hand' {Isaiah 41:10}. 

Linda


2 comments:

  1. Thanks ... for the helpful video clips ... They spoke to me.

    {sent via email}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie Vernick's terrific! If/when I ever need a counselor, I'm going to hop in my car and head right down to her office in Pennsylvania!

    Which isn't as far fetched as it might sound, since I commuted to Philadelphia Biblical University for a few years to get my masters degree!

    Go PBU!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...