Friday, October 28, 2011

How's That Quiet Time Going?

Who among us has it all figured out when it comes to establishing a daily, highly anticipated, heart-changing meeting time with God?  Truth be told, most all of us struggle with enthusiastically embracing some kind of regularly scheduled devotions or quiet time.

When was the last time you approached Him with your heart crying out, "I can't wait to get together with You!"

For years I've been fighting an all-or-nothing-at-all approach to my meeting times with God.  Either it's a rich and rewarding feast of solitude and silence that takes a significant amount of time.  Or it's a pray-without-ceasing kind of day, with little, if any time in Bible reading, meditating over the truths in His Word, or contemplatively journaling my thoughts and prayer to Him. 

I know I need to be more purposeful in this, but so often I don't do what I need to do to make it happen.

You too?

If you're an all-or-nothing kind of person, I think you get what I'm saying!

Just this morning I wrote, "It's been a long, very busy stretch since I last picked up this journal ... It's so easy to get lax and lazy, riding through, living off the fat of the land.  So easy to be undisciplined and unfocused on what is most truly important.  If I was satisfied with less sleep, had less desire to get the laundry going, settle in front of the computer, or run out the door ...

I know that my life needs to be more disciplined toward being fed by Your Word each morning.  To feed my soul on a very regular basis instead of such a haphazard manner.  To pray purposefully. 

I pray that you will prompt me by love, not 'shoulds,' not rules, not legalism.  That You would invite me to something joyful and fulfilling, something restful, and oh so rewarding.  Remind me often how badly my soul needs to be truly filled.  Never let me think that I can simply live off the fumes, the leftovers, of past times with You ..."

And when I finally rolled downstairs and checked my inbox, it made my day to hear what Mindy Caliguire had to say about the need for a daily prayer life that has a bit of structure to it.  I invite you to settle in for about 5 minutes and find out WHAT, WHY, and HOW.


More on waking up your quiet time ...
Linda

- picture by thediesel -

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...