In her excellent article, Lubna Somjee, Ph.D. discusses the forms of this insidious betrayal of trust:
Denying or minimizing
In addition, the journey towards healing include these steps:
- Acknowledging that someone who was supposed to nurture you has instead caused you harm
- Recognizing how trust has been violated and how boundaries have been eroded
- Grieving what should have been
- Forgiving the unforgiveable
- Setting up boundaries against future abuse
- Learning to reclaim who God has designed you to be
- Developing a new sense of freedom and confidence in Christ
There is hope. There is healing.
"Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom"
- 2 Corinthians 3:17.