Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Trust Issues

"Trust is what holds the world of personal relationships together ... When I trust you, I take a little piece of myself - my stuff, my money, my time, my heart - and put it in your hands. And then I am vulnerable. Then you respond, and I find out whether you are trustworthy and dependable." - Ortberg

Sadly, many of the people I talk to have trust issues. Serious trust issues. Along the way, their faith, their confidence, their hope in those who were supposed to love, protect, and care for them was violated. Shattered. Into millions of little pieces. A parent, spouse, friend, teacher, spiritual leader - someone that was supposed to be safe proved to be unsafe through physical, emotional, sexual, or verbal abuse or neglect.

... TODAY'S JOURNALING ...

The first verse of Romans 12 -"Offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship."


TO OFFER - To give without any reluctance or holding back. To give to the One who created me in the beginning, who saved me, who fills and guides and grows me. Who better to yield myself to than the One who has my best interests at heart, who desires to give me hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11-14).

A LIVING SACRIFICE - To give it all up, to let it go. There is a cost. But Christ understands because He gave it all up. He let go of all His rights when He came to earth and then died. For me (Philippians 2:5-8).

HOLY AND PLEASING - I am called to give all I am. My will, my selfishness, my pride, my ego, my rights, my agenda. All the deepest parts of what defines me. And this giving up and yielding gives a holy God pleasure. Because it's less of me and more of Him.

It is a spiritual act. Coming from the deepest places of who we are at the depths of our being. It is a conscious choice. It is the ultimate yielding, the ultimate honoring,the ultimate TRUST. It is worship.
And as we yield and find that our TRUST is blessed, honored, and handled with care by a loving, compassionate God, we ourselves begin to heal in those fragile places where people have said and done things that have shattered that TRUST.

Our obedience to Christ not only honors Him and brings Him pleasure; it brings us healing in those wounded places deep in our souls. We begin to release what we've gripped so tightly in our weary hands, what's come to define us along the way. We begin to forgive. We start the journey toward freedom - from the bondage of hurt, frustration, fear, rage, and bitterness. The release comes, sometimes slowly, but surely ... and we begin to experience a life of hope, freedom, joy and renewed potential.

And out of that healthier place, the fruit begins to blossom - "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control" (Galatians 5:22-23). And as the fruit begins to come forth, the gifts He's given to us to use in reaching out to others begin to be discovered and unfolded in our lives like a beautiful flower in springtime. And we begin to reach out to offer Christ's healing to other burdened travelers that He brings into our lives. In the process of growth, we, like Jesus, become wounded healers.

Such is the nature of obedience to the call Christ has on our lives.

Obedience ... Trust ... Healing ... Freedom ... Growth ... Ministry to Others.
Linda

1 comment:

Welcome to the table, friend!

This is where we gather and hang out. I'd love for you to pull up a chair and jump right into the conversation. Or simply say 'hello.'

l'll be dropping in to visit you sometime soon ...

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...